In this lesson, you’ll learn how to optimize images so they have a small file size and still look great in a viewer’s browser. By learning about the different image formats and the features they offer, you will be able to export files that contain accurate colors and partial or full transparency. You’ll learn about image slicing and how it allows you to choose different formats for different parts of a single image so the final result both looks great and downloads quickly.
What you’ll learn in this lesson:
• Locating free resources that you can use for image editing
• Determining the optimum file size
• Deciding on the best format
• Exporting optimized images from Photoshop
• Slicing images in Photoshop
You will work with several files from the web05lessons folder in this lesson. Make sure you have loaded the weblessons folder onto your hard-drive from www.digitalclassroombooks.com/webdesign. See “Loading lesson files” in the Starting Up section of this book.