Learn Elm and excel in functional programming.
About This Video
- Learn a reliable and straightforward functional programming language
- Grow as a programmer and learn the core concepts of functional programming by doing
- Build a robust interactive application using the Elm Architecture
Together we will build a web application, exemplifying all the core principles of web application development with a purely functional language. Apart from Elm, you will be able to apply those principles in other programming languages for your practical needs.
We will be covering topics such as Functional programming, Persistent data structures, data modeling and performant HTML rendering. The course will introduce you to the concepts of Type inference, Side effects, and Lazy computations in practical examples. You will be able to build your interactive applications with the help of Type Inference and Time traveling debugger.
Together we will build a real world application, exemplifying all core principles of application development in a purely functional programming language. You will be able to apply those principles in any other functional programming language for your practical needs.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 : Elm: Installation and Building the First Project
- The Course Overview 00:03:35
- Starting-up with Your First Elm App 00:04:06
- Get Familiar with Elm Syntax 00:07:23
- Expressing the Model with Primitive Built-in Data Types 00:05:12
- Persistent Data Structures for Collections in Elm 00:10:56
- Elm’s Type System and Type Inference 00:10:58
- Maybe and the Result Data Types 00:06:47
- Module System in Elm 00:07:10
- Rendering the Model with HTML and CSS 00:12:06
Chapter 2 : Architecting Webapps: The Elm Architecture
- Introducing Side Effects with Beginner Program 00:14:22
- Tasks for Asynchronous Computations 00:05:10
- Executing the Program with Commands 00:03:18
- Manage the Initial Application State with Program with Flags 00:02:09
- Communication with the Server 00:08:46
- Encoding and Decoding JSON 00:09:29
- Chapter 3 : Explore the Elm Tooling
- Chapter 4 : Going Further with Elm
- Title: Web Development with Elm
- Release date: October 2017
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781788399067