Chapter 7. iSeries portlets 277
5250 portlet, Structured Query Language (SQL) portlet, Host On-Demand portlet, and
Host Publisher portlet, SAP portlet, and PeopleSoft.
7.2 Integrating iSeries applications, data, and other resources
This section focuses mainly on a process of integrating iSeries applications, data, and
resources with WebSphere Portal using following applications tools:
5250 session portlet
iSeries Access for Web
IBM WebFacing Tool
7.2.1 Accessing iSeries applications using a 5250 session portlet
The first way to access the 5250 application is to deploy the 5250 session portlet:
1. Download the 5250 Session portlet. This portlet is one of the iSeries Access for Web
portlets, which is part of iSeries Access for Web product. A V5R3 version is available on
the iSeries Access Web site at:
After you install iSeries Access for Web, the iwawps.war file with the portlets resides in the
If you need to use only the 5250 session portlet, the iSeries Access for Web application
does not need to be configured.
2. Install the 5250 Session portlet. There are two ways to install iSeries Access for Web
– You can use WebSphere Portal Server Administration.
– You can use the iSeries Access for Web script (CFGACCWEB2) that is provided as a
part of the iSeries Access for Web package.
Installing with WebSphere Portal Administration
Perform the following steps to install this portlet by using WebSphere Portal Server
1. In your workstation environment, map a network drive, for example X, to the root directory
in the integrated file system (IFS).
2. Sign on to WebSphere Portal using the administrator’s user ID and password.
3. From the banner, click Administration.
4. In the left navigation pane, click Portlets
278 WebSphere Portal Express and Express Plus V5 for the IBM Eserver iSeries Server
5. On the Install Portlets panel (Figure 7-2), click the Browse button to select the WAR file.
Figure 7-2 Selecting the application to install
6. Select the X:\QIBM\ProdData\Access\Web2\install\iwawps.war file using the mapped
network drive. The name appears in the Directory field as shown in Figure 7-3. Click Next.
Figure 7-3 Selecting the file
7. In the next panel (Figure 7-4), you see three portlets in the iwawps.war file. Click Install to
install the portlets.
Figure 7-4 Three portlets to install
Chapter 7. iSeries portlets 279
8. After the portlets are installed, you see the message shown in Figure 7-5.
Figure 7-5 Message after the portlets are installed
9. Add the portlets to a page. As shown in Figure 7-6, in the left navigation pane, click Portal
→Manage Pages to go to a desired page.
10.From the list of pages in the right panel in Figure 7-6, click the Edit Page Layout (Pencil)
icon next to the page that you want to edit.
Figure 7-6 Managing the pages
11.In the Edit Layout panel (Figure 7-7), click Add Portlets to add these portlets to the page.
Figure 7-7 Adding portlets to the page
280 WebSphere Portal Express and Express Plus V5 for the IBM Eserver iSeries Server
12.In the Search for text box shown at the top of Figure 7-8, type iSeries and click Search.
13.Select the portlets to add to the page. Click OK.
Figure 7-8 Selecting the portlets
14.As shown in Figure 7-9, click the corresponding Up or Down icon to arrange the portlets
on the page.
Figure 7-9 Arranging the portlets
Installing with the iSeries Access for Web script (CFGACCWEB2)
Another way to install the same 5250 session portlet is to use the CFGACCWEB2 script
provided by iSeries Access for Web. This script is run within the Qshell environment to deploy
the portlets. Follow these steps to run the command: