By the end of this chapter, you should be able to:
• Trace the development of leadership theory from trait approaches to transformational approaches.
• Diagnose situations to determine the appropriate leadership style.
• Distinguish power from authority and leadership from management.
• List and describe five bases of social power that drive effective leadership.
• Specify the significance of delegation to leadership.
In Chapter 6, we examined some theories of human motivation and noted the complexity of the subject. Based on several explanations for observed behavior in individuals, we suggested ...