George Buckley & Sumeet Desai: What You Need To Know About Economics
Economics Matters. But with confusing things like GDP and interest rates, it's often hard to get you head around.
So What do you really need to know about economics? Find out:
What economic growth is and why it matters
How inflation happens
How jobs are created and lost
How the property market works
What central banks do and how it affects the rest of us
The impact of government spending on the economy
What You Need to Know About Economics cuts through the theory to help you to do your job and understand the world around you better.
Read More in the What You Need to Know Series and Ger Up to Speed on The Essentials... Fast.
Table of Contents
- Cover Page
- Title Page
Chapter 1: GROWTH
- WHAT IS ECONOMIC GROWTH?
- Three Measures of Activity
- HOW IT ALL FITS TOGETHER
- Focus on Household Spending and Investment by Firms
- VOLUMES, VALUES AND THE SEASONS
- Business Cycles and Trend Growth
- SPARE CAPACITY AND THE ‘OUTPUT GAP’
- Recessions and Depressions
- Comparing Economies Across the World
- What to Watch
- Chapter 2: INFLATION
- Chapter 3: EMPLOYMENT
- Chapter 4: TRADE
Chapter 5: MONEY
- WHY DOES MONEY EXIST?
- What Is Money Today?
- MONEY DEMAND – THE MOTIVES FOR HOLDING MONEY
- MONEY SUPPLY AND CREDIT CREATION
- How Interest Rates Are Determined
- The Quantity Theory of Money
- The Importance of Money In Practice
- The Borrowers and Savers of Money
- Household Borrowing and Debt
- Borrowing By Firms
- The Effect of Borrowing on the Economy
- The 2007 Credit Crisis – In a Nutshell
- Chapter 6: CENTRAL BANKING
- Chapter 7: THE PUBLIC FINANCES
- Chapter 8: HOUSING
- Title: What You Need To Know About Economics
- Release date: April 2011
- Publisher(s): Capstone
- ISBN: 9780857081148