1. Abraham De Moivre, The Doctrine of Chances, originally published in 1716 and reprinted as a photographic reprint by the American Mathematical Society in 2000.
1. The Iliad of Homer, trans. Richard Lattimore, Book XV (New York: Harper Collins, 1974), lines 185–92.
2. From Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales, trans. Nevill Coghill (Baltimore: Penguin, 1952), 205.
CHAPTER 1PITS, PEBBLES, AND BONES
1. The first intact human skull fossils were found in 1856 in the Neander Valley near Düsseldorf, Germany. The word Neanderthal comes from the translation of Neander Valley—the German word for valley is tal. Neandertal is an alternate spelling.
2. Our typical image of Neanderthals comes from unfortunate folklore depicting ...