The Java release train is moving faster than ever. Beginning with Java 9 in 2017, the platform’s one-to-three year release cycle accelerated to every six months, ensuring that timely new features and fixes would reach developers quickly. But as this ebook explains, Java 11 is more than just another incremental release.
Benjamin Muschko, software engineer and consultant, examines the many changes in Java 11, including several new features and the removal or deprecation of some older ones. You’ll also learn the intricate differences between the Oracle JDK and other open source JDK distributions when it comes to licensing terms and patch update availability.
This ebook covers:
- The merging of Oracle JDK and OpenJDK: Flight Recorder, Java Mission Control, and other commercial features are now free.
- Latest features and API enhancements: Java 11 includes a modern HTTP client, Unicode 10, nest-based access control, and more.
- Removed APIs and deprecations: Java 11 eliminates Java EE modules as well as applets and Java Web Start and decouples JavaFX from the JDK.
- Performance and security: Java 11 features two new garbage collectors and supports TLS 1.3, the latest version of the Transport Layer Security protocol.
Table of contents
What’s New in Java 11
- New Features
- Removed Features and APIs
- Deprecated Features and APIs
- Performance and Security
- Summary and References to Further Reading
- Title: What's New in Java 11?
- Release date: January 2019
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781492047551
You might also like
Expanded Edition (August 2018) Updated with Design Patterns episodes from the Clean Code series from Clean …
Java 8 in Action: Lambdas, streams, and functional-style programming
Java 8 in Action Summary About the Book Every new version of Java is important, but …
Grokking Algorithms is a friendly take on this core computer science topic. In it, you'll learn …
Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
Even bad code can function. But if code isn't clean, it can bring a development organization …