"This personal witty and insightful book teaches us about the fears that drive failure and the self-awareness that can help us navigate it. The great point about this book is that it is both philosophical with regards the nature of fear and its impact on achievement, and practical. For those that may be paralysed by a fear of failure, it offers a way through."
Luke Johnson, serial entrepreneur, Financial Times columnist and Chairman of the RSA
"This powerful, insightful book shows you how to unlock your unconscious brakes and step on the acceleration of your true potential!"
Brian Tracy, author of Maximum Achievement
"Kelsey offers a successful and eloquent analysis of fear of failure as a mass condition in the modern world, and one we ignore at our peril."
Donald Kirkpatrick, psychoanalyst and a founder of the London Association for Counselling and Psychoanalysis
Do fear and doubt hinder your progress in life? Are you paralyzed at key moments by your insecurities?
Millions of smart people are held back from achieving their potential by a fear of failure. Many of them don't even realize that this recognized condition is limiting their progress.
What's Stopping You? offers no quick-fix solution. Why? Because the key to unlocking you potential for success lies in understanding the root causes of the fears and insecurities that hold you back and in accepting who you are, rather than trying to become someone you are not.
Based on extensive research, recognized science and stark reality, this book will help you navigate the barriers that hold you back: at work, with people and in life.
"Robert Kelsey has combined thorough research, careful thought and the lessons of his own experience to produce a valuable, original and eminently readable book. I can strongly recommend it to anyone whose progress has been impeded by fear of failure."
John Caunt, author of Boost Your Self-esteem
"Confidence is the ultimate secret weapon of any successful entrepreneur. If Robert's book can help you find yours then it will be worth its weight in gold."
Rachel Bridge, author of How I Made It
Table of contents
- Series page
- Title page
- Copyright page
- FOREWORD BY LUKE JOHNSON
Part ONE: What is Stopping You?
- Blind to office politics
- Emotions and their role in survival
- Impaired mental capacity
- Experiments in emotional manipulation
- Task perseverance, task avoidance
- Mastery or ego orientation
- Self-help books aimed at High-FFs
- Dream fulfilment is a false promise
- “Attribution theory” and the “locus of control”
- 2 NEURAL HIJACKINGS AND EXTERNAL RESPONSES
- 3 FAILURE AS A POSITIVE EXPERIENCE
- 4 PRODUCING BETTER RESPONSES
- 1 FEAR
Part TWO: Goals
- 5 ACT
- 6 VISUALIZATION
- 7 LANGUAGE AND BEHAVIOUR
- 8 APPROPRIATE GOAL-SETTING FOR RECOVERING HIGH-FFS
Part THREE: Execution
- 9 STRATEGY AND TACTICS
- 10 JUDGEMENT AND IDEAS
11 MANAGING THE PROCESS
- Anyone can adopt efficient practices
- Covey’s four activity boxes
- Rethinking the notion of time
- Create a timetable
- Proactively managing interruptions
- Clearing roadblocks
- “Sharpening the saw”
- “To do” lists and “checklists”
- Deal with the worst thing first
- Prioritization and efficiency
- Endeavour is the key
Part FOUR: People
- 12 SELF-ESTEEM
- 13 DEALING WITH THE BOSS
- 14 PROGRESS AS AN EMPLOYEE
- 15 NETWORKING AND INTERVIEWS
- Leadership suits the High-FF
- A new approach to leadership
- The crucial ability: empathy
- The paradox of success
- One minute management
- Make others feel important
- Maslow’s hierarchy of needs
- The hiring gambit
- Spotting curious people
- It won’t always work
- Inspiring leadership
- Motivating a team
- Loyalty runs down the hierarchy, not up
Part FIVE: ME INC.
- 17 THE HIGH-FF ENTREPRENEUR
- 18 FUNDING, BOOTSTRAPPING AND PARTNERSHIPS
- CONCLUSION – THE POINT OF RECOVERY
- SUMMARY BY DONALD KIRKPATRICK, PSYCHOANALYST
- RECOMMENDED READING
- ABOUT ROBERT KELSEY
- Title: What's Stopping You?: Why Smart People Don't Always Reach Their Potential, and How You Can
- Release date: June 2011
- Publisher(s): Capstone
- ISBN: 9780857081728
You might also like
Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow, 2nd Edition
Through a series of recent breakthroughs, deep learning has boosted the entire field of machine learning. …
Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
Even bad code can function. But if code isn't clean, it can bring a development organization …
Data Science from Scratch, 2nd Edition
To really learn data science, you should not only master the tools—data science libraries, frameworks, modules, …
Designing Data-Intensive Applications
Data is at the center of many challenges in system design today. Difficult issues need to …