Today, if you own a Windows computer you need to understand the risks and the potential damage security threats pose. The mere act of turning on an Internet-connected computer can put you, your family, and even your personal finances at risk!
This book defines all the threats an average household might face and provides strategies to turn novice and basic users into adept home security experts, making you safer and more secure from cyber criminals.
We start off with plain English definitions for security mumbo jumbo, and then we dig in with step-by-step instructions to help you cut your exposure in less than 10 minutes! Finally, we provide steps for more involved security measures that you can do in a weekend.
We also take an in-depth look at the security measures Microsoft put in Windows Vista. We also look at how Vista responds to the key threats. It teaches you how to tweak the system and make Microsoft’s new security features–like the User Access Control–less annoying and helps you adjust the system to be usable. It shows you how to set up Vista to protect your system from your kids–the biggest security hazard to your computer.
• More than 5 million spam emails flood the Internet daily–many with your name on them–we show you how to make yourself invisible to detestable spammers!
• Did you know that hackers are snooping around your IP address right now, while you read this? They might already have breached what security you have and could be running amok with your personal data. Stop them dead in their tracks with a few simple steps!
• Identity theft is the most popular form of consumer fraud today, and last year thieves stole more than $100 million from people just like you. Put a stop to the madness with the steps provided in this book!
• Spyware–nasty little programs that you might not even know you have installed on your PC–could be causing your PC to crash. We show you how to root it out of your system and prevent further infection.
Andy Walker is one of North America’s top technology journalists and is the author of Que’s Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Security, Spam, Spyware & Viruses and Microsoft Windows Vista Help Desk. Since 1995, he has written about personal computer technology for dozens of newspapers, magazines, and websites. Today, his columns (and hundreds more technology how-to articles) are published at Cyberwalker.com where more than 5 million unique
visitors read the advice annually. Andy co-hosted the internationally syndicated TV show Call for Help with Leo Laporte. Alongside his ongoing TV guest appearances, he also hosts the popular tech video podcast Lab Rats at LabRats.tv.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Contents at a Glance
- Table of Contents
- About the Author
- We Want to Hear from You!
- Reader Services
- Introduction: Ignore This Book at Your Own Peril!
Part I: Security Basics: Some Very Real Threats
- Chapter 1. Viruses: Attack of the Malicious Programs
- Chapter 2. Spyware: Overrun By Advertisers, Hijackers, and Opportunists
- Chapter 3. Rootkits: Sneaky, Stealthy Toolboxes
- Chapter 4. Hackers: There’s a Man in My Machine
- Chapter 5. Identity Thieves and Phishers: Protect Your Good Name and Bank Account
- Chapter 6. Spam: Unwanted Email from Hell
- Chapter 7. Wireless Network Snoops: Lock Down Your Wi-Fi Network
- Part II: Hardcore Help for Safe and Secure Computing
- Part III: Tools for Maintenance and Protection
- Title: Windows Lockdown!: Your XP and Vista Guide Against Hacks, Attacks, and Other Internet Mayhem
- Release date: July 2008
- Publisher(s): Que
- ISBN: 9780789736727
You might also like
Network Defense and Countermeasures: Principles and Practices, Third edition
All you need to know about defending networks, in one book Clearly explains concepts, terminology, challenges, …
Cyber Security Policy Guidebook
Drawing upon a wealth of experience from academia, industry, and government service, Cyber Security Policy Guidebook …
Cybersecurity for Industrial Control Systems
As industrial control systems (ICS), including SCADA, DCS, and other process control networks, become Internet-facing, they …
Information Assurance Handbook: Effective Computer Security and Risk Management Strategies
Best practices for protecting critical data and systems Information Assurance Handbook: Effective Computer Security and Risk …