Chapter 13: Making the Most of Your Computer’s Accessories
If you’ve connected a microphone to your computer, you can dictate and work with
voice memos by following these steps:
1. Click the Record button to start recording your voice note.
2. Dictate your memo into your microphone.
3. Click Stop to stop recording.
4. Click Play to play back your voice memo.
With a recorded voice memo, you can also:
• Click and drag the Locate slider to move forward or backward through your
memo, and then press Play to resume playback.
• Play back your voice memo from the beginning by clicking Stop and then click-
As you add notes, your stack of sticky notes grows. You can navigate the stack by using
the Previous Note and Next Note buttons on the toolbar. You can drag a written note
from the notepad and insert it into a document as an image by following these steps:
1. Click the Drag and Drop button on the toolbar.
2. Hold the mouse button down while you drag the memo from Sticky Notes to
3. Release the mouse button when the pointer is at the appropriate location in your
An alternative to using drag and drop is to copy a written note to the clipboard by
clicking the Copy button on the toolbar. In an application, such as Microsoft Office
Word, you can then use the paste function to insert the note as an image.
If you no longer want a sticky note, click the Delete button (the red X) on the toolbar,
and then confirm the action by clicking Yes. Rather than deleting notes, you can erase
notes by moving the pen from side to side several times over the entries that you want
to erase without lifting the pen. When you lift the pen, the entries are removed.
If you use Sticky Notes regularly, you might want Sticky Notes to run
automatically each time you start Windows Vista and log on. To do
this, click Tools, click Options, and then select Open at Startup.
Creating a Windows Journal
Another Tablet PC extra is Windows Journal. Windows Journal gives you a virtual
journal that you can use with the Tablet PC pen in much the same way you would
use a stationery pad and an ink pen. You may prefer Windows Journal to Sticky
Notes when you are writing longer notes and memos with the Tablet PC pen.
You can open Windows Journal by clicking Start
➝ All Programs ➝ Accessories ➝
Tablet PC, and then selecting Windows Journal. The first time you start Windows