Chapter 17: Mastering Dial-Up, Broadband, and On-the-Go Networking
To use a dial-up connection for a VPN connection, follow these steps:
1. Click “Dial directly” to use your modem to make the VPN connection.
2. On the “Type the telephone number” page, enter the phone number provided by
your network administrator.
3. Complete steps 4–10 of the previous procedure. After providing the necessary
information, click Create to create the dial-up VPN connection.
Conﬁguring Proxy Settings for Mobile Connections
Many organizations today use proxies to protect their users from intrusion and to
use smaller amounts of publicly routed IP addresses. A proxy is a server that sits
between you and the Internet. It receives all client requests to the Internet, fulfills the
request itself, and then sends the information to the client. When creating network
connections, you may need to configure a proxy in order to gain access to the Inter-
net or other external servers.
Windows Vista offers support for adding proxies inside Internet Explorer’s settings.
You can configure the proxy server and port to support the different protocols you
use for accessing services that require a proxy within your organization.
You can enable or disable proxy settings on a per-connection basis as well as for the
LAN. You should enable proxy settings only when using a proxy is required. If you
enable proxy settings and a proxy is not required, you won’t be able to use the
related connection to access the Internet or resources on your network. This hap-
pens because your computer will look for a proxy that isn’t there. Malware pro-
grams sometimes target your proxy settings, and you may have to enable or disable
these settings as a result.
You can configure a proxy for a LAN connection by completing these steps:
1. Click Start, and then click Internet Explorer.
2. Click Tools from the menu bar, and then click Internet Options.
3. In the Internet Options dialog box, click the Connections tab.
4. Click the LAN Settings button listed under the Local Area Network (LAN) Set-
5. To enable the use of a proxy server, check the box for “Use a proxy server for
your LAN (These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections),” as
shown in Figure 17-16.
6. Enter the IP address of the proxy in the Address text box.
7. Enter the port number of the proxy in the Port text box.