• Fade or slide ToolTips into view
• Fade out menu items after clicking
• Show preview and filters in folder
• Show shadows under menus
• Show shadows under mouse pointer
• Show thumbnails instead of icons
• Show translucent selection rectangle
• Show window contents while dragging
• Slide open combo boxes
• Slide taskbar buttons
• Smooth edges of screen fonts
• Smooth-scroll list boxes
• Use a background image for each folder type
• Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop
• Use visual styles on windows and buttons
You can configure Windows performance by completing the following steps:
1. Click Start and then click Control Panel.
2. In the Control Panel, click the System and Maintenance category heading link.
3. Click Performance Information and Tools.
4. Under Tasks, click “Adjust visual effects.” This opens the Performance Options
dialog box shown in Figure 3-20.
5. On the Visual Effects tab, you have the following options for controlling visual
Let Windows choose what’s best for my computer
Enables the operating system to choose the performance options based on
the hardware configuration. For a newer computer, this option will proba-
bly be identical to the “Adjust for best appearance” option because of its
hardware and performance capabilities.
Adjust for best appearance
Enables all visual effects for all graphical interfaces.
Adjust for best performance
Disables all visual effects.
Allows you to enable or disable the visual effects options individually.
6. Click OK to apply your settings.