Installing and Managing Hardware
3. Windows Vista will search the location you’ve specified for the latest driver
for the device, and install the driver if found. If it does not find a more recent
version of the driver, Windows Vista will keep the current driver.
4. Click Close.
• Choose the driver to install.
1. Click “Browse my computer for driver software” and then click “Let me pick
from a list of device drivers on my computer” to select the driver to install
based on the type of hardware device.
2. Select the appropriate hardware type, such as Imaging devices or Printers,
and then click Next.
3. Scroll through the list of manufacturers to find the manufacturer of the
device, and then choose the appropriate device in the right pane.
4. If the manufacturer or device you want to use isn’t listed, insert your device
driver disk into the floppy drive or CD-ROM drive, and then click the Have
Disk button. Follow the prompts. Afterward, select the appropriate device.
5. After selecting a device driver through a search or a manual selection, click
Next to continue.
6. If the wizard can’t find an appropriate driver, you’ll need to obtain one and
then repeat this procedure.
7. Click Close.
Rolling Back Device Drivers
Sometimes you may find that installing a device or a device driver has the unin-
tended consequence of causing your computer to fail to start up. If this occurs, don’t
panic. You should be able to recover your computer using the Last Known Good
Configuration or Safe Mode, as discussed in Chapter 21. You will then need to roll
back the device driver or recover the computer to a previous restore point.
You may want to roll back a device driver for other reasons as well, such as when you
are experiencing problems with the device or the device isn’t working as you expected
after updating the device driver. To roll back a device driver, follow these steps:
1. Click Start and then click Control Panel.
2. In the Control Panel, click System and Maintenance.
3. Scroll down and then click Device Manager.
4. In Device Manager, right-click the device you want to manage and then select
Properties. This opens the Properties dialog box for the device.
5. Click the Driver tab and then click “Roll back driver.” When prompted to con-
firm the action, click Yes.
6. Click Close to close the driver’s Properties dialog box.