The almost perfect anti-malware solution
To repeat an important theme, there is no silver bullet. There is no 100% guarantee. There is no perfect solution. There is no one-size-fits-all. Then again, let's try.
Give or take, what do we need?
- A two-way firewall to check incoming and outgoing traffic
- An old-school antivirus to seek out known threats
- A HIPS scanner to sniff out new threats
- A behavioral scanner to sniff out new threats
- A sandbox to run untrusted applications or for risky web activity
- Plus maybe a virtual machine if we're somehow upping the risk factor
- And last but not least, a dollop of good old-fashioned common sense
Quite a list.
Many folks use either a HIPS or a behavioral scanner. I use both for Windows systems, plus a VM for advanced sandboxing, ...