Workplace violence in all its forms is becoming more prevalent and pervasive every year. Workplace Violence: Planning for Prevention and Response gives a comprehensive account of the problem using a multi-faceted approach to the issues surrounding workplace violence incidents, addressing how the topic affects victims, witnesses, the workforce, family members, and management. A series of chapters helps organizations to form action and response plans to manage incidents both large and small. The focus also includes organizations that are forced to address violent individuals in settings where law enforcement may not be immediately available. Kerr speaks first-hand about complex issues like corporate liability for violent or threatening acts committed by employees, as well as issues of privacy, and he includes chapters written by experts on legal issues, cyberthreats, and anger in the workplace. This book belongs on the desk of every security manager and HR professional, and offers solid advice to all managers regardless of the size of their organization.
* Details the problem from all angles to help the reader design a comprehensive strategy for all constituent groups. * Provides proven, detailed support for creating policies and procedures, awareness, and response training. * Discuses real-life case studies to help readers understand how to apply strategies discussed in the book.
Table of Contents
- About the Author
- Contributors’ Biographies
- 1 Violence — A Matter of Perspective?
- 2 The Near Miss
- 3 Victims of Workplace Violence a Life-Changing Event
- 4 Legal Obligations and Workplace Violence
- 5 Workplace Culture That May Breed Violence
- 6 Business Impacts of Workplace Violence
- 7 Reaction and Recovery Treating the Wounds of Violence
- 8 Early Warning Signs can the Problem be Stopped Before it Starts?
- 9 Proactively Dealing with Anger in the Workplace
- 10 Violence on Campus a New and Evolving Threat
- 11 Background Screening Important, But not the Silver Bullet
- 12 Policies and Procedures creating a Framework For Prevention and reaction
- 13 Training
- 14 Investigating Incidents Responding to an Active Shooter
- 15 Cyber Threats an Emerging Concern
- Epilogue and the Beat Goes On…
- Title: Workplace Violence
- Release date: May 2010
- Publisher(s): Butterworth-Heinemann
- ISBN: 9780080959214