What Lies Behind the Language of NO?
NO doesn’t come from nowhere. It comes from feelings and perceptions, both real and imagined. Understanding what’s behind a NO can help you begin to turn it around.
- Fear of the unknown and of leaving comfort zones; upsetting one’s sense of balance (natural resistance to change).
- Fear of taking risks (potential negative consequences if things go wrong).
- Fear of change.
- Fear of losing one’s job or of looking bad.
- Fear of speaking up, saying,“I don’t know.”
- Many other fears as well.
- New possibilities are filtered through negative past experiences.
- “We’ve tried that before, and it didn’t work” syndrome.
- “No news is good news”— why change things when everything is fine?
- Not wanting someone with a ...