Becoming the Very Best First-Time Leader
Congratulations! You're now in charge. Perhaps it's your first time as a leader, or maybe you want to fine-tune your skills. Either way, you've begun one of the most rewarding chapters of your career. But, like many beginnings, the first few years can be challenging. Fortunately, you don't have to tackle this challenge on your own. Your First Leadership Job gives you practical advice straight from others who have walked in your shoes. Not only does it include dozens of tools to ensure your success, but it's also based on the authors' and DDI's extensive experience and research, which ultimately has led to the development of millions of leaders around the world. In fact, a quarter-million leaders will be developed this year alone via DDI training.
Your First Leadership Job is divided into two sections. Part 1 introduces the concept of catalyst leader—one who sparks energy, passion, and commitment in others. Your transition to catalyst leader is a major step in your leadership journey. This book provides essential tips to put you on the catalyst path. Ultimately, leadership is about the many conversations—frequent, clear, authentic, and occasionally difficult—that you will have daily. Your First Leadership Job builds awareness of the fundamental skills you'll come to rely on to make every one of these interactions successful.
Part 2 devotes 13 chapters to critical core leadership competencies, including coaching for success, hiring the best employees, turning dreaded appraisals into discussions that propel performance, and handling difficult employees. It also includes a chapter for first-time female leaders.
Look at Your First Leadership Job as an indispensable companion to becoming an awesome leader—one who will make a positive, lasting impact on your team, family, and career. Visit
www.yourfirstleadershipjob.com to learn more.
Table of contents
- Title Page
Part 1: Project Initiation
- Chapter 1: Now You're a Leader: The Journey Begins
- Chapter 2: Boss or Catalyst?: What Makes a Great Leader?
- Chapter 3: Navigating the Transition to Leadership: The Mind-Set You Need to Succeed
- Chapter 4: Your Leadership Brand, Part 1: Be Authentic
- Chapter 5: Your Leadership Brand, Part 2: Bring Out the Best in People and Be Receptive to Feedback
- Chapter 6: Leadership Is a Conversation, Part 1: How to Make People Feel Heard, Valued, and Motivated
- Chapter 7: Leadership Is a Conversation, Part 2: How to Build Trust and Ownership
- Chapter 8: Your Five-Step Conversation Road Map: Taking a Practical Approach to Get Results
- Chapter 9: Nothing Else Matters Unless You Get Results: How to Execute with Focus, Measurement, and Accountability
Part 2: Mastery and Leadership Skills
- Chapter 10: Hiring and Selecting the Best: Behavior Predicts Behavior
- Chapter 11: What Your Boss Really Wants From You: Become an Adviser
- Chapter 12: Engagement and Retention: Creating the Environment to Energize People
- Chapter 13: Meetings: Make Them Count!
- Chapter 14: Coaching: Learning from Success
- Chapter 15: Feedback Fundamentals: Specific, Timely, and Balanced
- Chapter 16: Handling Difficult Employee Situations: Focus on the Behavior, Not the Person
- Chapter 17: Delegation: Be a Delegator, Not a Dumper
- Chapter 18: Performance Management: An Ongoing Cycle, Not an Event
- Chapter 19: You and Your Network: Nurture Your Business Relationships
- Chapter 20: Influence: Look Up, Down, and Across
- Chapter 21: A Woman's First Leadership Job: Own the Moment
- Chapter 22: Leadership Changes the World: The Difference Is You
- Part 3: Bonus Chapters and Tools
- About DDI
- About the Author
- End User License Agreement
- Title: Your First Leadership Job: How Catalyst Leaders Bring Out the Best in Others
- Release date: April 2015
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781118911952
You might also like
Radical candor: be a better boss
Bad bosses make people miserable. They kill innovation, stifle growth, increase costs, and create instability. Well-meaning …
HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing Yourself (with bonus article "How Will You Measure Your Life?" by Clayton M. Christensen)
The path to your professional success starts with a critical look in the mirror. (plus the …
The Art of Leadership
Many people think leadership is a higher calling that resides exclusively with a select few who …
Executive Presence, Second Edition: The Art of Commanding Respect Like a CEO, 2nd Edition
Be the kind of leader that other leaders envy by strategically harnessing the extraordinary power of …