Sport, physical activity and play are key constituents of social life, impacting such diverse fields as healthcare, education and criminal justice. Over the past decade, governments around the world have begun to place physical activity at the heart of social policy, providing increased opportunities for participation for young people. This groundbreaking text explores the various ways in which young people experience sport, physical activity and play as part of their everyday lives, and the interventions and outcomes that shape and define those experiences.
The book covers a range of different sporting and physical activities across an array of social contexts, providing insight into the way in which sport, physical activity and play are interpreted by young people and how these interpretations relate to broader policy objectives set by governments, sporting organisations and other NGOs. In the process, it attempts to answer a series of key questions including:
- How has sport policy developed over the last decade?
- How do such policy developments reflect changes at the broader political level?
- How have young people experienced these changes in and through their sporting lives?
By firmly locating sport, physical activity and play within the context of recent policy developments, and exploring the moral and ethical dimensions of sports participation, the book fills a significant gap in the sport studies literature. It is an important reference for students and scholars from a wide-range of sub-disciplines, including sports pedagogy, sports development, sport and leisure management, sports coaching, physical education, play and playwork, and health studies.
Table of contents
- Title Information
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Table of Contents
- List of Figures and Tables
- List of Contributors
- Introduction: Youth Sport, Physical Activity and Play
- Part I Policy
- Part II Intervention
Part III Participation
- 8 Physical Activity and Sedentary Behaviour Among Adolescents
- 9 Moving Forward from the Physical Education, School Sport and Young People Strategy
- 10 Sports Coaching and Young People in the Twenty-first Century
- 11 The Next Generation: Young People, Sport and Volunteering
- 12 Sport, Volunteering and Marginalised Youth
- Afterword: Reconsidering Youth Sport, Physical Activity and Play
- Title: Youth Sport, Physical Activity and Play
- Release date: June 2013
- Publisher(s): Routledge
- ISBN: 9781136510380
You might also like
Python Crash Course, 2nd Edition
This is the second edition of the best selling Python book in the world. Python Crash …
Learning Python, 5th Edition
Get a comprehensive, in-depth introduction to the core Python language with this hands-on book. Based on …
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Sharpen your Python skills as you dive deep into the Python programming language with Serious Python. …