Every day at work, people do three things: talk, listen, and pretend to listen. That’s not surprising—the average attention span has dropped to 8 seconds. To get heard, says high-stakes communications expert Paul Hellman, you need to focus your message, be slightly different, and deliver with finesse.
Through fast, fun, actionable tips, You’ve Got 8 Seconds explains what works and what doesn’t, what’s forgettable and what sticks. With stories, scripts, and examples of good and bad messages, the book reveals three main strategies:
- FOCUS: Design a strong message—then say it in seconds.
- VARIETY: Make routine information come alive.
- PRESENCE: Convey confidence and command attention
You’ll discover practical techniques, including the Fast-Focus Method™ that the author uses with leadership teams; how to stand out in the first seconds of a presentation; and 10 actions that spell executive presence.
Whether pitching a project, giving a speech, selling a product, or just writing your next email, with You’ve Got 8 Seconds you’ll get heard, get remembered, and get results.
Table of Contents
- Half title
- About the Title . . .
- Should You Read This Book? What If You Don’t Have Time?
- Part I Capture Attention with FOCUS
- Part II Capture Attention with VARIETY
- Part III Capture Attention with PRESENCE
- Conclusion: The Next Step
- About Paul Hellman
- Free Sample Pages from Ask More By Frank Sesno
- About AMACOM
- Title: You've Got 8 Seconds
- Release date: April 2017
- Publisher(s): AMACOM
- ISBN: 9780814438312