60 Minutes to Actionable User Feedback
Simple ways to get confident using prototypes to learn from users—even if you’re not a designer
Practitioners agree that it’s crucial to collect user feedback in product development, but many teams struggle to find the time (and confidence) to solicit it regularly. The good news is that anyone can do user testing; you don’t have to be a user researcher or designer. This quick course provides real world examples and a series of simple ways for teams to share their software plans with users early and turn the resulting insights into tweaks to improve the product–before it’s too late.
Join experts Kylie Castellaw and Maryam Aidini to learn a series of tried-and-true (and out-of-the-box) ways for teams to share their plans with users early and turn the insights they gain into tweaks to improve the product before it’s too late. The best part: user testing doesn’t have to take a long time or be expensive.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live online course, you’ll understand:
- The importance of getting feedback from users
- Simple ways to get user feedback quickly
- How to take action to tweak your product based on user feedback
And you’ll be able to:
- Create quick prototypes to test your product’s concept and features
- Find actual (or solid proxy) users to test with
- Get in front of users to solicit feedback
This training course is for you because...
- You’re on a software team with few resources for user testing.
- You have a hunch that something could be better about your product.
- You want to take a more user-centric approach to developing products but aren’t sure how to start.
- A basic understanding of product development
About your instructor
Kylie Castellaw is a lead product manager and design researcher at ThoughtWorks, where she coaches Fortune 500 and nonprofit teams to work leanly in portfolio planning, product development, concept ideation, and experience design. She’s always loved science and art and came to the Lean practice as a UX designer/researcher and cognitive psychologist.
Maryam Aidini is a lead product manager at ThoughtWorks, where she spends her time coaching enterprise clients in the portfolio management, product definition, and the software delivery phases of their product lifecycles. She started her career as a software engineer and has worked with many teams over the years to deliver software products using Lean and Agile practices.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
- Introduction (5 minutes)
- Identifying learning goals (5 minutes)
- Types of testing with examples (10 minutes)
- Types of quick prototypes with examples (10 minutes)
- How to recruit for your test (5 minutes)
- Helpful tips for feeling more confident in front of users (5 minutes)
- Applying the feedback to improve the product (5 minutes)
- When to ask for more testing resources (5 minutes)
- Wrap-up and Q&A (10 min)