90 minutes to onboard yourself in a technical role
How to hit the ground running
A successful onboarding experience requires an understanding of the key behaviors, objectives, and milestones to reach and by when. But since most companies don’t have great corporate onboarding, and even more lack functional onboarding specific to technical roles, sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands. . Effectively onboarding yourself puts you in control of your career; rather than waiting for an overloaded manager to help you figure things out, you have the map you need to get started and get productive.
Expert Kristen Gallagher shares a template to help you onboard into any technical role. You’ll learn critical skills to help you get up to speed faster, including managing up, internal networking, critical thinking, and more. You’ll also explore how to onboard if you’re switching teams and how to onboard as a new manager.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live, hands-on, online course, you’ll understand:
- How to assess where you are and what you need to be successful in the first 90 days
- How to ask the right people the right questions, saving time and getting up to speed quickly
- How to find, understand, and update documentation to get the lay of the land
And you’ll be able to:
- Tailor the “onboard yourself” template to your new role
- Create an action plan for you and your manager
- Determine milestones for success in the first 90 days
This training course is for you because...
- You’re a technical employee who’s moving to a new role.
- You work with technical employees, and you want to help them onboard better.
- You want to become a manager, and you want to onboard your new hires well.
- Watch The Importance of Technical Onboarding, Training, and Mentoring (video, 32m)
- Download the course worksheet and job tracker sheet
- Watch Leadership and Management for Software Engineers (learning path, 3h 58m)
About your instructor
Kristen Gallagher is an organizational strategies and learning designer. She is the founder and CEO of Edify, a learning strategy consultancy that solves people operations problems for growing companies. She has architected and delivered onboarding programs for companies bringing on just one person a quarter to 100+ people a quarter. Specializing in onboarding systems, manager development, and knowledge management, Gallagher delivers programs that are designed to evolve and scale with rapid changes. She brings over a decade of learning and development and business partnership experience to Edify.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Onboard yourself (30 minutes)
- Lecture: Getting yourself ready to onboard pre-day 1; self-checking and job checking
- Group discussion: Where you’ve gotten hung up with onboarding in the past; what you can learn from it
- Hands-on exercise: Complete the onboarding prep worksheet
Components of your onboarding plan (25 minutes)
- Lecture: The information to gather and understand; finding the right people
- Hands-on exercise: Develop your own plan
- Break (5 minutes)
Managing up and managing your onboarding experience (20 minutes)
- Lecture: Working with your manager; getting the right information; remote-first onboarding notes