AWS Account Setup Best Practices
Whether you are architecting new applications or working with existing AWS cloud-native applications, it’s important to understand some basic best practices when working with AWS. This 4-hour course focuses on key AWS best practices so you can more efficiently and effectively use Amazon Web Services. This course can act as a baseline for your new AWS account. This training will focus on commonly misconfigured areas, including billing alerts, access control, and data security so that you can focus on your applications and infrastructure. Experienced trainer and video author Chad Smith will provide detailed demonstrations, highlighting key concepts and automation tasks. The course includes downloadable materials so attendees can follow along with the instructor.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
- How to start using AWS in a secure and cost-effective manner
- AWS pricing and how to watch for unexpected costs
- Access control in AWS and how to implement basic least-privilege permissions
- Data security and the primary services used for encryption and monitoring
- How to monitor your AWS account, with options for notifications or active remediation
- There are very few controls enabled by default on a new AWS account, and beginners can find it overwhelming to implement best practices.
- Automation itself is a best practice, but does not come easily to new cloud adopters.
- Cost visibility and control is a desired outcome for anyone using AWS, but the way to achieve this is not always straightforward.
This training course is for you because...
- You are a technology professional new to AWS
- You are an existing AWS customer who wants to understand best practices
- Anyone interested in best practice automation in AWS
- This course is for all skill levels
- An account in AWS so students can follow along with demonstrations if desired (https://aws.amazon.com/start-now/)
- Basic working knowledge of cloud computing
- AWS Certified SysOps Administrator (Associate): https://learning.oreilly.com/videos/aws-certified-sysops/9780135436110
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) LiveLessons (video): https://www.safaribooksonline.com/library/view/amazon-web-services/9780134702186/
About your instructor
Chad Smith is the Principal Cloud Architect at Brightkey.cloud. He is a certified architect for both Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud Platform. He brings a wealth of relevant experience in cloud adoption, infrastructure design, data security and cloud operations. Chad holds current AWS certifications in Architecture (Associate and Professional), SysOps and Security. Chad is the author of many video courses with Pearson, including AWS Certified SysOps Administrator (Associate) Complete Video Course; AWS Certified Security - Specialty Complete Video Course and Getting Started with Google Cloud Platform.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Securing AWS Account Access - 45m
Implementing Billing Alarms - 30m
Break 10 mins
Tagging Resources with Compliance Checks - 30m
Protecting Data In Transit and At Rest - 30m
Break 10 mins
Monitoring your AWS Account Activity - 45m Helpful Resources - 30m
Q&A – 10m