AWS Networking Essentials
Learn about AWS Networking and Content Delivery
AWS Networking Essentials provides the information you need to get up and running with your cloud networking career today. This 4-hour live training will cover AWS networking basics, Virtual Private Cloud Design, network security and advanced networking services. Networking is one of the four core service offerings for all cloud service providers, including AWS. For applications running in EC2, the architecture begins with the network and in AWS this is the Virtual Private Cloud (VPC). In order to gain the highest degree of security, resiliency, and performance, you must design and implement the network effectively. This course is your first step to learning and gaining the skills needed to successfully and securely deploy virtual networks in the world's leading cloud service provider.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
- Review of fundamental knowledge needed throughout the use of AWS VPC, IPv4, and IPv6 addresses as well as classless-interdomain routing and C.I.D.R notation.
- Amazon VPC basics including how subnets enable the use of multiple availability zones as well as routing, internet access, and how public IP addresses can be allocated and assigned to EC2 instances.
- Amazon VPC advanced concepts such as keeping EC2 instances private and protected from the internet while still allowing egress only or one-way internet access.
- Network address translation, third-party virtual network appliances, and VPC endpoints.
- Virtual Network Security including the use of network access control lists and security groups.
- Connecting VPCs and On-Premises Networks including VPC peering, various VPN solutions, and AWS Direct Connect.
- Monitoring and optimizing network performance
- Designing & implementing hybrid networking at scale
- Configuring network integration with applications services
This training course is for you because...
- You need to learn about how cloud service providers provide virtual networking services to consumers
- You want to build a foundation for a career in networking and/or cloud computing
- You are considering creating a virtual network at a cloud provider like AWS
- You want a resource to start your preparation for the AWS Certified SysOps Administrator exam or the AWS Advanced Networking Specialty exam
- Some experience using Amazon Web Services
About your instructor
Michael J Shannon began his IT career when he transitioned from recording studio engineer to network technician for a major telecommunications company in the early 1990’s. He soon began to focus on security and was one of the first 10 people to attain the HIPAA Certified Security Specialist. Throughout his 30 years in IT he has worked as an employee, contractor, and consultant for several companies including Platinum Technologies, Fujitsu, IBM, State Farm, MindSharp, Thomson, Pearson, and Skillsoft among others. Mr. Shannon has authored several books, training manuals, blog articles, and CBT modules over the years as well. He has attained the CISSP, ITIL 4 Managing Professional, CCNP Security, Palo Alto PCNSE7 and OpenFAIR certifications in the security field as well as several cloud-based certifications for AWS, Google Cloud, and Azure. His hobbies are playing guitar, songwriting, and golf. He resides with his wife in Abilene Texas.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Session 1: Getting Started with Networking Basics (50 minutes)
- The 7 Layers of the OSI Model
- Internet Protocol v4
- DNS Basics
- Classless Inter-domain Routing (CIDR) representation
- VLANS, Access Ports and Trunks
- Site-to-Site IPsec VPN (managed)
Break (10 minutes)
Session 2: Virtual Private Cloud Design (50 minutes)
- AWS Global and Regional Infrastructure
- VPC and Basic Networking Design
- ENI, Elastic IP & Internet Gateway (IGW)
- VPC Peering
- Multi-VPC Architecture
- VPC Endpoints
Break (10 minutes)
Segment 3: Network Security (50 minutes)
- NAT Gateway
- Network Access Control Lists (NACLs)
- Security Groups
- Web Application Firewall (WAF) and AWS Shield
- S3 and CloudFront Security
Break (10 minutes)
Segment 4: Advanced Networking Services (60 minutes)
- Introduction to Hybrid Networking
- BGP Fundamentals (including MED - Multi-Exit Discriminator)
- Route 53 Routing Policies
- Elastic Load Balancing
- VPC Flow Logs
- Enhanced Networking