Azure Administrator Certification (AZ-104) Crash Course
Hands-on learning of core exam topics
Topic: System Administration
There are more than 150 Azure services all around the world, but the core compute, network, and storage features are what’s most commonly used for most day-to-day tasks. The Microsoft Azure Administrator certification (exam AZ-104) validates your knowledge and ability to work in Azure, and opens opportunities for more advanced training and exams. This course walks you through hands-on guided exercises for the core areas of focus to help you pass the AZ-104 certification exam.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live, hands-on, online course, you’ll understand:
- The core areas of focus in the AZ-104 certification exam
- How to manage and configure Azure virtual networks, VMs, and storage, and manage identity and subscriptions across an Azure account.
- Identifying additional areas of study and exercises before you take the exam.
And you’ll be able to:
- Prepare and practice to pass the AZ-104 certification exam
- Progress to additional courses such as the AZ-300 architect certification exam
This training course is for you because...
- You’re an IT administrator or developer
- You work with Microsoft technologies or cloud-computing
- You want to become an Azure administrator with the AZ-103 certification
- Some exposure to Azure and core services such as VMs is expected.
- This is a crash course for the core components of the certification exam, so this course does not provide in-depth introductions to each service and feature.
Recommended preparation - You need an Azure subscription with access to create and manage resources. A free Azure account can be created at azure.com/free.
- Take the Azure Architect Certification AZ-300 Crash Course (live online training course with Iain Foulds)
- Explore the Microsoft Learn modules in areas where you need additional support, for additional conceptual information and hands-on exercises before taking the exam.
About your instructor
Iain Foulds is a senior content developer at Microsoft, focused on Azure technologies. He spent more than a decade in the field as an engineer building and running virtualization environments, including cloud solutions. At Microsoft since 2014, he supports and enables customers to successfully run workloads in Azure.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Create and manage virtual networks (55 minutes)
- Presentation: Virtual network basics and connectivity
- Exercise: Create virtual networks in different regions, define IP addressing and subnets. Configure virtual networking peering and create VPN gateways.
- Presentation: Virtual network security
- Exercise: Create network security groups and rules, along with application security groups. Set priority and review effective rules.
- Pulse check: Virtual network basics and security
- Presentation: Load balancing network traffic
- Exercise: Create an Azure load balancer, configure load balancing rules and NAT rules.
- Presentation: Name resolution in Azure
- Exercise: Understand internal Azure DNS, configuration options. Create and configure public and private DNS zones.
- Break (5 minutes)
Deploy and manage VMs (55 minutes)
- Presentation: Azure VM overview
- Exercise: Create and configure a VM, view template deployment options
- Presentation: Management basics
- Exercise: Add a disk and virtual network interface, resize and redeploy VMs, enable diagnostics and updates.
- Pulse check: Core VM configuration
- Presentation: Back up and protect VMs
- Exercise: Configure schedules for backup, backup a VM. Configure Site Recovery for redundancy.
- Presentation: Combining network and compute
- Exercise: Test network security group rules, application security groups, load balancer rules from the previous virtual network section.
- Break (5 minutes)
Implement and manage storage (30 minutes)
- Presentation: Azure Storage features
- Exercise: Creating a storage account, limiting network access, enforcing security, reviewing access keys
- Presentation: Sharing files
- Exercise: Configuring a file share, accessing from a VM
Identity and subscription management (30 minutes)
- Presentation: Azure AD basics
- Exercise: Manage users and groups, join a VM to Azure AD, manage device settings
- Presentation: Resource review and management
- Exercise: Configuring tags, moving resources, deleting resources. Monitoring consumption and spending. Alerts and notifications.
- Final Q&A