Building simple serverless applications with Azure Functions
Serverless functions offer you a highly scalable solution with zero server maintenance required. Because they’re priced by consumption, serverless applications have economics in their favor, making the choice to leave traditional server-based web architecture inevitable.
Join expert Chris Behrens to get a head start in serverless using Azure Functions. You’ll learn how they work, how to create them, and where they fit into your application as you follow several functions from design to coding in Visual Studio to deployment and maintenance. You’ll leave understanding the difference between web applications and functions, how to manage state, and how authentication and identity work in Azure Functions.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live online course, you’ll understand:
- How to code an Azure function
- How to connect to and trigger your function
- How to deploy your functions
- The limits of Azure functions and how to manage them
- The alternatives to Azure functions for serverless architecture
And you'll be able to:
- Implement functions with different connection models
- Create an Azure function that references other libraries you create
- Deploy Azure functions from version control
This training course is for you because...
- You’re an architect or developer, and you want to add serverless functions to your Azure toolbox.
- A machine with Visual Studio 2019 and the text editor of your choice installed
- An Azure account (Free tier is fine.)
- Watch C# Programming Essentials (video, 4h 59m)
- Read Azure Serverless Computing Cookbook, second edition (book)
About your instructor
Chris B. Behrens is a writer, speaker, and software developer specializing in DevOps. He’s been a developer and architect for more than 20 years, concentrating on small- to medium-sized companies and the development changes they face. He focuses on his personal flavor of fear-based development, where developers rank their tasks in descending order of anxiety and tackle them in that order. (Chief among these anxiety-inducing processes is software deployment.)
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Introduction (30 minutes)
- Lecture: Serverless functions are inevitable; the economics of serverless applications; the ultimate web architecture
- Group discussion: How might this apply to your current business? Where is the server?
Getting started with Azure Functions (25 minutes)
- Lecture: GET Hello, World; authenticated GET Hello, World; a simple reminder function
- Group discussion: What do chron-type functions replace, and why are they better? What are some of the trade-offs of dependencies versus in-line code?
- Hands-on exercise: Create a Hello, World function and call it in the browser
Break (5 minutes)
Challenges in Azure Functions (30 minutes)
- Lecture: State; dependency management; troubleshooting
- Hands-on exercises: Unit-test a local function and investigate a function with Kudu
- Group discussion: What’s so bad about state? Where to test? When to test?
Advanced Azure Functions (40 minutes)
- Lecture: The other trigger formats; function binding
- Hands-on exercise: Chaining the result of an Azure function to blob storage
- Group discussion: What are some scenarios in your work that could be chained?
Break (5 minutes)
The grand tour (30 minutes)
- Lecture: The design
- Group discussion: Where’s the server? How do you add a database to this architecture?
Wrap-up and Q&A (15 minutes)