Building Templates with Azure Resource Manager (ARM)
Learn how to write Azure infrastructure as code
Topic: System Administration
Azure Resource Manager—Azure’s deployment and management service—allows you to create, update, and delete resources in your Azure account, using features like access control, locks, and tags to secure and organize your resources after deployment.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live online course, you’ll understand:
- When and why to use Azure ARM templates versus other infrastructure-as-code solutions
- The tools and services required to author your own ARM templates
- How to create advanced automated deployment solutions using ARM templates
And you’ll be able to:
- Describe the reasons why teams need to understand ARM template development
- How to build a template that performs an automated deployment
- How to implement continuous integration (CI) for Azure ARM templates
This training course is for you because...
- You’re a developer, systems administrator, or technology architect who needs to understand the fundamental practices used for infrastructure as code in the Azure cloud.
- You work with traditional on-premises IT infrastructure or other cloud platforms and need to pick up Azure skills.
- You need to consistently and repeatedly perform automated deployments in the Azure cloud.
- Experience with general networking concepts and systems administration
- An understanding of the principles and benefits of cloud computing
- Familiarity with the Azure platform and Windows or Linux
- An Azure account (Free tier is fine—required to take part in course exercises.)
- Refresh your Azure skills by watching relevant sections of Microsoft AZ-900 Certification Course: Azure Fundamentals (video, 4h 30m)
- Read Infrastructure as Code, second edition (book)
About your instructor
Mike Pfeiffer is the founder and chief technologist at cloud consulting and training firm CloudSkills.io. A 20-year tech industry veteran, he’s worked for some of the largest technology companies in the world, including Microsoft and Amazon Web Services (AWS). Mike is a published author, international conference speaker, Microsoft Azure MVP, and host of the CloudSkills.fm podcast.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
ARM template development 101 (55 minutes)
- Presentation: Infrastructure as code—the big picture; JSON primer; developing your first template in VS Code; VS Code extensions for ARM template development
- Hands-on exercise: Create your first ARM template
Break (5 minutes)
ARM template development in practice (55 minutes)
- Presentation: Working with resources and parameters; using template functions; working with variables and outputs; reverse engineering exported templates
- Hands-on exercise: Export and update an ARM template
Break (5 minutes)
Advanced concepts for ARM template development (55 minutes)
- Presentation: Working with template references; resource orchestration; using conditions; bootstrapping VMs with script extensions
- Hands-on exercise: Launch a template and deploy an Azure VM
Break (5 minutes)
DevOps for infrastructure as code (50 minutes)
- Presentation: Setting up a GitHub repo for ARM templates; enabling continuous integration; unit-testing ARM templates; building a CI/CD pipeline for infrastructure as code
- Hands-on exercise: Create a GitHub repo for your templates
Wrap-up and Q&A (10 minutes)