Building the Skills to Succeed as a Remote Worker in 90 Minutes
Successfully working in a remote environment is more than just chatting in Slack and joining video standup calls. Without deliberate effort, things such as building rapport, improving through feedback, feeling included, and being productive are not always natural. In this 90-minute workshop, we will cover some of the key, undervalued components of work life that are important to succeed as a remote worker — both for the manager and the employee.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
What you'll learn — and how you can apply it:
- By the end of this live online course you’ll understand:
- The best practices from some of the best remote companies
- How to ensure you're not forgotten, just because you're not in the office
- How to build trust and rapport with your team
- How to combat isolation and loneliness on a remote team
- Effective collaborating
- Strategies for introverts and extroverts
- Tools to explore to help with your team
- Dealing with stress unique to remote workers
And you’ll be able to:
- Be able to see areas in your remote work where you can improve, and develop a plan to do so.
- Use some tools to stay connected and build productivity
This training course is for you because...
- You work for a business, and you either work remotely all or part of the time or you want to work remotely
- Some experience working remotely is helpful, but not required.
- Write out a list of all of the challenges you experience as an employee, whether or not they are related to remote work. This will get you doing some introspection about the current state of your work, and we'll discuss some of these issues during the course. (Of course, sharing is completely optional.)
- Read The Remote Worker's Survival Guide (report)
About your instructor
I’ve managed 50 people remotely in 10 years and a number of whom I’ve worked with for 5+ years. I’ve successfully helped a number of companies hire their first few international remote employees, most of which have stayed on long term with that company.
TheRemoteCTO.com (My Consultancy)- Built 15 web, mobile and machine learning products for clients around the world. Our team of 9 design/development spanned 6 timezones and we would release the first version of each product within 2 weeks from the start of development.
Triage.com - CTO - Managing a team of 13 data scientists, data managers and engineers remotely who worked all over the world.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Remote fundamentals and challenges part 1 (40 minutes)
- Presentation: What is remote work? Different types of remote work, benefits and challenges.
- Presentation: The top challenges of working remotely.
- Challenge and Possible Solutions: Loneliness
- Challenge and Possible Solutions: Building trust with your manager and team
- Q&A for the above 2 challenges
- Break (5 minutes)
Challenges part 2 and actions (45 minutes)
- Challenge and Possible Solutions: Being left out of meetings and decisions
- Challenge and Possible Solutions: Staying focused at home
- Challenge and Possible Solutions: Building strong work relationships
- Challenge and Possible Solutions: Unable to switch off
- Exercise: For your top challenge, write up a 5-minute plan on how you can move forward with one of those ideas to tackle