DataOps Boot Camp: Kubernetes Data Storage and Retrieval
Deploy a data-driven app and run a PostgreSQL database on Kubernetes
Topic: System Administration
The data professional role is evolving, requiring a broader understanding of how to deploy workloads on the cloud, and transitioning to cloud native architectures is a key use case in many organizations. Implementing Kubernetes and the right underlying infrastructure makes this transition easier.
Join experts Alberto C. Ríos and Oliver Hughes to learn how to store and retrieve data using Kubernetes. Using Katacoda interactive scenarios, you’ll get hands-on experience configuring an app to access persistent data both from the filesystem and from a PostgreSQL database; using a local workflow to deploy the app automatically so that when a change is made, the app is rebuilt and deployed to Kubernetes; using a Kubernetes Secret to store credentials for the database securely; creating a PostgreSQL database user with a Kubernetes CustomResourceDefinition; backing up PostgreSQL data to the cloud; and using a StatefulSet to provide highly available, persistent file storage for the app.
APAC friendly time
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live online course, you’ll understand:
- Basic Kubernetes concepts
- Configuring your deployments
- Using Operators to manage databases and message queues on Kubernetes
- Observing your pipelines
And you’ll be able to:
- Deploy an existing application into Kubernetes and effectively iterate on it
- Deploy data pipeline components
- Visualize data pipelines using Grafana
This training course is for you because...
- You’re a working data engineer or data scientist who runs, or wants to run, data pipelines and APIs on Kubernetes.
- You want to effectively design and work in Kubernetes.
- A working knowledge of the Linux or macOS command line
- A basic understanding of programming
- Read Extending Kubernetes (book)
About your instructors
Alberto C. Ríos is a Software Engineer interested in building products people love in agile environments with a focus on high-quality tests.
At the moment, he's part of the Spring Engineering team at Pivotal working from Seville, Spain on a fully remote team. We are building Spring Cloud related products and frameworks to help people adopt microservices architecture and improve the experience of Spring in Cloud Foundry and Kubernetes.
Alberto is interested in Reliability, Continuous Delivery, Testing and contributes to several Java Open Source projects. Recently, he's have been speaking at different major software conferences, such as Devoxx Belgium, the largest software conference in Europe and DevNexus, the largest Java conference in America
Oliver has had a passion for all things technology from a young age with a keen interest in electronics and computer programming. After graduating from Plymouth University, he started working in the shipping industry, building systems for monitoring traffic movements using Java and Oracle. After a few years he moved into the National Security industry working on innovative research projects for the UK Government. During this time, he was lucky enough to work closely with Python, Docker, Cloud Computing and DevOps tooling when these technologies was still in it’s infancy. He moved to Pivotal (now acquired by VMware) in 2016 where he was able to develop his skills to a much deeper level, building cloud based middleware using Spring Framework for some of largest enterprises in the world. At Pivotal, he gained a deep understand of Kubernetes and has presented a number of talks on the subject aimed at Software Engineers. In his free time, he his passionate about outdoor pursuits and camping
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Course overview (10 minutes)
- Presentation: Katacoda overview
Deploying a data-driven app (45 minutes)
- Presentation: Using Skaffold to deploy to a cluster; debugging your applications; aggregating the logs; monitoring and managing the Data API
- Katacoda interactive exercise: Explore dev workflows for data-driven applications on Kubernetes
Break (5 minutes)
Persistence in Kubernetes (55 minutes)
- Presentation: Persistent volume; volume snapshot and restore; StatefulSets
- Katacoda interactive exercise: Kubernetes and persistent data
Break (5 minutes)
Using Operators to manage PostgreSQL databases (60 minutes)
- Presentation: Installing an Operator with Helm; operating PostgreSQL on Kubernetes; monitoring and managing PostgreSQL
- Katacoda interactive exercise: Run PostgreSQL on Kubernetes