From User Experience Designer to Digital Product Designer
Harnessing the Product Vision to Better Your Design Career
Let’s call it how it is: digital programs have yet to recognize the designer’s full potential and position them to attain it. This is hurting both business and design. But designers, if we’re keeping it real, we also haven’t known how to level-up. Thankfully, we’re collectively being forced to reckon.
The digital product designer wave is set to be the revolutionary shift that transforms both the designer and digital. A shift that I believe will trigger the digital product space to rearrange and unify—comprehensively integrating the user, design and technology to mindfully drive a business forward. This is the beginning of a new era for digital, with the designer leading the way. The way to harness your power as a digital product designer is by championing the keystone of digital products, the product vision: visioneering.
Beyond any one process, visioneering speaks to championing the keystone of a digital product—the product vision—from a place rooted in mindful strategy, purposeful collaboration and calculated flexibility. This course is an introduction for digitally-minded designers working in today’s user experience space (UXD, UI, IA, IxD, etc.) looking to make the leap to digital product designer, and harness their newfound power through visioneering. Ultimately finding themselves on a better path forward for their design career, their company and their product work.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live, online course, you will
- Be clear on the values and mindset that separate the user experience designer from the digital product designer, and how to leverage product vision to develop a strategic maturity.
- Learn what visioneering is—and why this practice is a worthy, necessary cause.
- Realize the importance and place of product vision as the keystone of a digital product.
- Understand how the absence of planning for a product’s strategic vision is directly contributing to the most pressing problems in the digital product space.
And you’ll be able to:
- Start the journey that will advance you from today’s user experience designer (UXD, UI, IA, IxD, etc.) to digital product designer.
- Grasp the foundation a digital product designer will need to strategically champion the vision.
- Get an edge that elevates the designer and their respective design work to become strategic influencers to high-level decisions.
This training course is for you because...
- You are a user experience designer (UXD, UI, IA, IxD, etc.) experiencing frustration with your digital design career.
- You’re a digital product program colleague of these designers—business associates, product managers, researchers, scrum team owners and stakeholders—and are looking to better support your designer staff.
Digitally-minded designers working in today’s user experience designer space (UXD, UI, IA, IxD, etc.)—who have job experience working in a big business digital product programs as entry-level to senior level contributors (1 to 14+ years’ work experience).
Exercises to complete before the course: - Write a few (candid) sentences about your current role as a designer in big business. - Consider: How do your digital product space colleagues perceive your designer role? - Consider: What are the differences between the perceived role, actual role/responsibilities and your ideal role? - Consider: How did your college education prepare you or fall short?
- The Designer’s Guide to Visioneering https://www.guidetovisioneering.com/
- LinkedIn Profile, continuing to post new articles & forums to discuss
- Medium Publication, https://medium.com/the-designers-guide-to-visioneering
About your instructor
Boston-based, Laura Fish is a digital product designer focusing on strategy and vision(eering). She’s currently authoring The Designer’s Guide to Visioneering and organizing the respective movement to help fellow designer’s level-up.
Over the course of a 15-year career, her design and product vision work would earn her a spot as a major influencer to leadership running notable Fortune 500 companies. To reach that elevated position, she had the foresight to evolve her product game and strategic maturity to eventually emerge as the bridge that connects design-to-business. She then honed that strategically-savvy product mindset to better champion her love for the vision.
After years calibrating that thinking, she realized she had unexpectedly made the pilgrimage from a user experience designer to a digital product designer. And through her new digital product designer lens, she was exercising a new strategic take on the vision as applied to the digital product space: visioneering.
Now she’s dedicated to helping user experience designers standing in the spot she once stood… wanting to find a better way forward for their career, their company and their product work. Call her the visioneering sherpa, here to guide the journey.
When she’s not solving pixel problems or arguing with Siri, she’s working on her artwork.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Segment 1: The State of the Designer
Length (50 minutes)
- Why Big Business
Break (10 min)
Segment 2: re-Design School
Length (50 minutes)
- A New Calling
- The Strategist
- Love Your Business Partner
Break (10 min)
Segment 3: Overview of Visioneering in Action
Length (30 minutes)
- The Communication Essentials
- The Visioneering Journey
- The After Journey
Segment 4: Next Steps
Length (20+ minutes)
- Q&A & wrap-up
- Resources and next steps designers can leverage to keep the momentum going