GCP Certification Prep Crash Course: Associate Certified Cloud Engineer
Learn key information needed to pass the Google Cloud Associate Cloud Engineer exam, including how to deploy virtual machines, use cloud functions, stand up Kubernetes clusters, configure networks, manage roles and identities, and use managed services like Cloud Pub/Sub, Cloud Dataproc, and Cloud Dataflow.
Using Google Cloud Platform effectively and efficiently requires an understanding of a range of IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS services. This session includes:
- Learning GCP's resource hierarchy and project structure followed by a review of identity management.
- Working with Compute Engine VMs and managed instance groups, Kubernetes clusters, App Engine services, and Cloud Functions.
- Using storage services, including Cloud Storage, Cloud SQL, BigQuery, Bigtable, and Datastore.
- Understanding how to create virtual private clouds, virtual private networks, firewall rules, and other network management tasks.
- Monitoring and logging with Stackdriver
- Reviewing the use of Cloud Pub/Sub, Cloud Dataflow, BigQuery, and Cloud Dataflow.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live, hands-on, online course, you’ll understand:
- The four main compute services covered in the Associate Cloud Engineer exam: Compute Engine, App Engine, Kubernetes Engine, and Cloud Functions
- The various storage services, when to use them, and how to operate and maintain them
- How to use essential manages services, including BigQuery, Cloud Pub/Sub, and Cloud Dataflow.
- How to configure virtual private clouds, virtual private networks, and hybrid-clouds.
- How to use Stackdriver to monitor performance and alert on significant events.
- Ways to use identities and roles to control access to GCP resources
And you’ll be able to:
- Choose appropriate compute and storage services for a variety of business use cases
- Manage identities, roles, and access controls
- Deploy a variety of storage systems, including relational and NoSQL databases
- Configure networks, including linking on-premises data centers to Google Cloud
- Monitor resources and review logging information
- Work with Google Cloud console and command line SDK
This training course is for you because...
- You want to become a certified Google Cloud Certified Associate Cloud Engineer
- You are a solutions architect working in Google Cloud
- You are a developer using GCP services to build applications
- You are working in another public cloud and want to understand the advantages of the Google Cloud Platform
- You are in a technical role responsible for implementing GCP services
- You are a DevOps or SysOps engineer working in GCP or interested in learning about GCP
- Familiarity with basic system management concepts such as virtual machines, storage systems, and networking.
- Understanding of how to use Linux command line utilities
- Create a free Google Cloud account with $300 credit
- Review the Google Cloud Associate Cloud Engineer page
- Take the Google-provided practice exam
- Read Official Google Cloud Certified Associate Cloud Engineer Study Guide (book)
- Take GCP Certification Prep Crash Course: Professional Cloud Developer (live online training course with Dan Sullivan)
About your instructor
Dan Sullivan is a software architect, author, and instructor with more than 25 years of experience in the tech industry. Dan is an experienced practitioner in cloud computing, data architecture, machine learning, data science, and streaming analytics. Dan’s latest books include Google Cloud Certified Associate Cloud Engineer Study Guide, Google Cloud Professional Architect Study Guide, and Google Cloud Professional Data Engineer Study Guide (forthcoming). His courses cover a range of topics with more than one million views across a number of platforms. Dan has a PhD. in genetics and computational biology.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
GCP Computing Options (30 minutes)
- Presentation: Compute Engine and Kubernetes Engine
- Discussion: When to use Compute Engine and Kubernetes Engine
- Presentation: App Engine and Cloud Functions
- Exercise: Creating a Compute Engine VM using the Cloud Console
GCP Storage Options (30 minutes)
- Presentation: Object and Persistent Disk Storage in GCP
- Discussion: When to use Object Storage vs Block Storage
- Presentation: Relational and NoSQL Databases
- Exercise: Choosing a database for different business use cases
Identity and Access Management in GCP (30 minutes)
- Presentation: Resource Hierarchy: Organizations, Folders, and Projects
- Presentation: Roles, Permissions, and Identities
- Discussion: When to use predefined vs. custom roles
- Exercise: Assigning roles to a service account
Essential Managed Services (30 minutes)
- Presentation: Cloud Pub/Sub and Cloud Dataflow
- Presentation: BigQuery and Cloud Dataproc
- Exercise: Querying public datasets in BigQuery
Networking in GCP (30 minutes)
- Presentation: Virtual Private Clouds, VPNs, and Hybrid Clouds
- Discussion: Choosing a hybrid cloud networking option
- Presentation: Subnets, firewalls, DNS, and routes
- Exercise: Configuring a firewall rule