Getting S.M.A.R.T about Goals
Learn the basics of S.M.A.R.T. Goals and How to Use Them for Success
According to self-help guru Les Brown, “Your goals are the road maps that guide you and show you what is possible for your life.” Research has proven that it takes 33 to 66 days to develop a new habit and roughly 90 days before seeing marked results of those changes.
When setting goals there a few common missteps that can stand in the way of achieving them including, mislabeling wishful thinking as a S.M.A.R.T Goal rather than giving it the thoughtfulness it deserves, creating convoluted directions to achieving it or no directions at all, or creating a plan that is not rooted in realistic actions within our scope of control. This interactive workshop will help you learn how to develop and set S.M.A.R.T (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant and Time-bound) Goals, how to break the goals down into benchmarks at 30, 60, and 90 days, and how to make realistic bi-weekly action plans to get it done.
By the end of this class, you will understand common goal-setting misconceptions and how to turn a thought into a S.M.A.R.T goal, the importance of breaking down the goal into steps and how to activate accountability to achieve the goal.
Together, we will develop one S.M.A.R.T Goal and 90-day action plan in real-time. We will also share insights on how to track and communicate progress.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live, hands-on, online course, you’ll understand:
- How to turn a thought into a goal while avoiding common goal-setting mistakes
- The importance of breaking down the process and leaning into accountability to achieve the goal
- How to apply this process to both personal and professional goals
And you’ll be able to:
- Create your own S.M.A.R.T goal with a 90-day plan
- Develop tracking structures for your S.M.A.R.T goals
- Communicate goals and progress to managers
This training course is for you because...
- You’re an individual contributor and you want to identify how to stretch in your current role.
- You're a newly promoted manager looking to facilitate goal setting and structured accountability for your team.
- You’ve been in management for some time and you want to empower your team to set meaningful goals and achieve them.
- You want to turn a recent performance review feedback into actionable goals
- You want to hit or exceed your current benchmarks.
- Experience working in a business environment
- A desire to learn more about strategic goal setting
- Write down your top 5 goals
- Watch Goal Setting for Life Career and Business (video course, 35 minutes)
- Download the Goal Setting Worksheet
- Explore Goal Setting and Performance for Teams (learning path, 1 hour 33 minutes)
- Read 2600 Phrases for Setting Effective Performance Goals (book)
- Read Achieve with Accountability (book)
About your instructor
Keita Williams is the Founder and Chief Strategist of Success Bully, an elite accountability practice for high achieving, Type “A”s who are stuck. We offer strategic support (a professional butt-kicking) to create momentum in both their personal and professional lives. Success Bully develops bespoke 90-Day Sprints to develop clarity and habits to achieve big hairy audacious goals.
At the end of 2016, Keita dusted off her vision board and woefully looked at the goals that she had set for herself late in 2015. It was an eye-opening experience. Most areas remained unchanged and, in some cases, there was backward momentum. She found that this was also a recurring theme among her circle of influence.
What could have been done differently? The answers were crystal clear -- an actionable plan and some good old-fashioned accountability. From there, Success Bully was born. This rapidly growing practice includes three focus areas 1:1 services, workshops/seminars and content including the Success Bully Podcast and the Daily Butt Kicking video series on YouTube that features tips and intimate interviews with founders and business leaders.
Keita is a recovering Tech PR hound who has conceptualized and executed communications strategies across consumer tech brands of various sizes and stages. From mobile phones, tablets, laptops, apps and digital entertainment, she has launched and told stories for all manner of gadgetry.
Keita is a proud Wildcat who holds a B.S. from Northwestern University in Communication Studies. For more information, check her out on successbully.com, @successbully on Instagram & Twitter and download her weekly Success Bully podcast on Apple Podcasts.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
S.M.A.R.T Goals (55 minutes)
- Presentation: Common Missteps & New Approach
- Discussion: Tell me about a time you had an unclear goal
- Presentation: S.M.A.R.T. Goals
- Exercise: Interactive writing exercise to answer the 4 big questions
Q&A (5 minutes)
Break (5 minutes)
Simple Planning + Tracking (55 minutes)
- Presentation: Breaking the goal down into an action plan with 30, 60, and 90-day benchmarks
- Exercise: Data dump & Pinch Zoom
- Poll: Tracking preferences
- Presentation: Tracking tips and recommendations
- Presentation: Structured Accountability & Communication
Q&A (5 minutes)