Getting Started with Google Cloud Platform
This course introduces you to the Google Cloud Platform (GCP). GCP allows you to create and deploy planet-scale applications without the need for any upfront investment. You can focus on creating value with your software. Google takes care of managing the physical infrastructure needed to run your application.
Today, companies are moving their on-premise applications and infrastructure to the Cloud en-masse, and Google Cloud Platform is one of the best public Cloud Provider in the world. Being a Google Cloud architect is one of the highest paid jobs in the industry at the moment, and this course will help you get started on building a career in moving software and applications into the Google Cloud.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live, hands-on, online course, you’ll understand:
- How to get started with Google Cloud.
- How to create your own virtual private cloud (VPC) on GCP.
- How to create and deploy compute instances.
- How to apply authentication and authorization to your Cloud resources.
And you will be able to:
- Deploy and manage Google Cloud Network and Compute Infrastructure.
This training course is for you because...
- You are a software engineer who wants to use GCP as a deployment platform.
- You are a system administrator moving workloads to GCP.
- You want to become a Google Certified Professional (Cloud Architect).
- Good understanding of Computer Science, Software Engineering and basic networking skills.
- Fluent with command line utilities and git
- Create a Google Cloud Platform account
- Install the gcloud SDK on your machine
About your instructor
Mark van Holsteijn is a senior software systems architect, and CTO of binx.io. He is passionate about removing waste in the software delivery process and keeping things clear and simple. Using Cloud Technology to achieve this is one of his favorite party tricks. He has been moving customers to the cloud, since 2013. He delivers customer value by quantifying goals and applying an evolutionary approach to systems engineering. In his spare time, he takes only cold showers, likes to play golf, does yoga and krav maga.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Google Cloud Platform (30 minutes)
- Lecture: Regions and zones; End locations; Available Services overview; Projects; Accessing Services (Console, SDK, CLI, Terraform/Deployment Manager)
- Demonstration: account signup (free trial)
- Exercise: account setup
Identity and Access Management (30 minutes)
- Lecture: Identities; Permissions; Roles; Policies; Organizations; Folders
- Demonstration: granting a role
- Exercise: granting a role
- Break (5 minutes)
Compute Engine (35 minutes)
- Lecture: Virtual Machine Instances; Machine types; Virtual Machine Images; Regional, zonal disks, and snapshots; Local SSD; Managed instance groups
- Demonstration: creating and deploying autoscaling group
- Exercise: creating and deploying autoscaling group
Cloud Networking (35 minutes)
- Lecture: Virtual Private Cloud; Networks and Subnets; Firewalls; Routes; VPC peering / shared VPC; VPN connections
- Demonstration: creating a custom vpc with fw rules
- Exercise: creating a custom vpc with fw rules
- Break (5 minutes)
Monitoring and logging (40 minutes)
- Lecture: Sysadmin audit trails; Data audit trails; Stackdriver logging
- Demonstration: stackdriver logging and monitoring on VMs
- Exercise: stackdriver logging and monitoring on VMs