Getting started with SQL Server
Managing and querying SQL Server databases
For more than 20 years, SQL Server has been the platform of choice for managing data assets. SQL Server 2019 offers unprecedented features and scalability, both on-premises and in the cloud, using cutting-edge technologies, limitless flexibility, and a unique vision among all database providers.
Whether you’re starting your SQL Server journey or just need to perform basic management tasks and write and execute T-SQL queries, this hands-on three-hour course will get you up and running. Join expert Ami Levin to learn the basic skill set to manage databases and objects; insert, modify, and query data; and establish a solid foundation to continue your journey to SQL and relational database mastery.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live online course, you’ll understand:
- SQL Server basic architecture and tooling
- What’s new to SQL Server 2019
- T-SQL query fundamentals
And you’ll be able to:
- Set up and connect to local and cloud SQL Server environments
- Create, backup, and restore databases
- Create and manage tables, use T-SQL to insert and modify data, and query it efficiently
This training course is for you because...
- You’re a developer, data analyst, or IT or data practitioner who wants to get started with SQL Server.
- You need to be able to use and query SQL Server databases.
- Familiarity with SQL (useful but not required)
- Watch Introducing SQL and Relational Databases (video, 54m)
- Take Mastering the Basics of Relational SQL Querying (live online training course with Ami Levin)
About your instructor
Ami Levin is a seasoned trainer, data architect, database designer, and SQL wizard with over 25 years of experience.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Creating tables (55 minutes)
- Lecture: CREATE, ALTER, and DROP TABLE; column and table constraints; data types
- Demo: Data types
- Hands-on exercises: Create, modify, and delete tables; create and modify constraints; create and modify column types
- Break (5 minutes)
Modifying and retrieving data (55 minutes)
- Lecture: Using INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE; SELECT and query processing order; T-SQL JOIN fundamentals; filtering, aggregating, and limiting result sets
- Demos: Following query processing order; basic JOIN techniques; using WHERE, GROUP BY and OFFSET-FETCH
- Hands-on exercises: Use INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE; join two tables; use WHERE and GROUP BY
- Break (5 minutes)
Using T-SQL supporting objects and functions (55 minutes)
- Lecture: SQL Server indexes; commonly used operators and functions; views, stored procedures, triggers, and functions
- Demos: Creating and using indexes; using common operators and functions; creating and using programming objects
- Hands-on exercises: Create an index; write a query that use operators and functions; create a trigger
Wrap-up and Q&A (5 minutes)