Techniques to pivot and refresh your career
Everyone gets stuck sometimes—in the wrong job, the wrong career, or the wrong life path. But what do you do when you feel stuck? How do you refocus and move toward a more expansive life? How do you hold yourself accountable for achieving your goals? You pivot. Pivoting applies the nudge theory of behavior science which advocates small incremental changes in order to make huge sweeping directional shifts. Pivoting creates the small ripples that will lead to that major overhaul that will change your life.
Join expert Katie Augsburger to learn the importance of getting clear on your personal goals and creating real tangible steps to getting there. You'll learn the goal-setting techniques that work (and the ones that will distract you from your chosen path); gain clarity about the milestones you need to reach—and how and why you need to reward yourself when you get there; and discover the importance of community and identify the people in your life that can act as “accountability partners” to help you on your path.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live online course, you’ll understand:
- The principles of good goal setting
- How goals are critical your success
And you’ll be able to:
- Visualize your path
- Create tangible steps to get you where you need to go
- Identify who you need to talk to today to start making your goals possible
- Develop and implement an accountability plan to get you moving past dreaming and into action
This training course is for you because...
- You feel stuck or unsure of what's missing in your life or want to change your career and are looking for some inspiration.
- Four to five sheets of blank paper, four different colored pens, and sticky notes
- Take five minutes to assess the state of your life, job, and career. Write down a list of five barriers that are keeping you from where you want to be.
About your instructor
Katie is partner and co-founder of FWD: Future Work Design, which helps organizations unlock their potential and create amazing work experiences for all employees. Katie has spent over 15 years creating and implementing successful human resources programs, including onboarding at both small and large organizations. Her employee programs have been featured in HR and Fortune magazine among others.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Introduction (10 minutes):
- Lecture: How I learned to pivot—my journey; the hero’s journey; how to relate this tale to your experience
Getting clear about your vision for your new life (15 minutes):
- Lecture: The importance of visioning
- Hands-on exercise: Create your own personal vision—What things do you need to know about yourself? What is it that you want in your future state? What should life look like?
Goal setting (45 minutes):
- Lecture: The myth of goal setting; why vocalizing your goals to friends, coworkers, and family sets you up to fail; alternatives; barriers—both real and imaginary
- Hands-on exercise: Create goals and get clear about which ones matter and which ones don’t; work with your barriers—What are they? How can you use them to your advantage?
Moving past today (20 minutes)
- Lecture: How to turn the goals into action
- Hands-on exercise: Create your action plan