Google Kubernetes Engine: Beyond the Basics
Google Cloud Platform is growing impressively in enterprise demand. That demand growth requires cloud professionals to be proficient in Google Cloud Platform (GCP) Kubernetes Engine. Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE) is a managed, production-ready Google hosted container environment for deploying containerized applications.
Did you know that the demand for Kubernetes cloud native professionals has never been greater historically? Understanding how to utilize Google Cloud Platform Kubernetes Engine will provide an onramp to cloud native capacity utilizing Google Cloud Platform services with Kubernetes.
This course provides participants deep insight into deploying and managing containerized applications specifically on Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE). The course also covers advanced areas such as extending to on premises with Kubernetes on Premises and how Anthos, which is an application modernization platform, can be utilized to extend container capabilities.
This course gives you an understanding of containers and Docker as well as a brief overview of Kubernetes Engine technologies. Detailed coverage of setting up continuous integration and delivery pipelines is discussed. Exercises are provided as well as significant reference materials.
This course is meant for IT professionals such as cloud architects, cloud administrators, cloud developers and DevOps professionals to rapidly obtain a grasp of how powerful Google Kubernetes Engine really is. If you are a customer facing technical sales expert focused on driving revenue then this course will help enable you to be proficient in Google Cloud container technology.
The course has been positioned to provide a significant number of demos and exercises with Kubernetes Engine to provide the participants a tangible use of their time.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
- What is Kubernetes Engine and how it is different from Kubernetes
- Perform operations such as expanding your clusters, viewing a pods output, and inspecting clusters and pods.
- Learn the more powerful capabilities of the GCP Kubernetes Engine and how these capabilities provide superior performance, security and flexibility in your deployments.
- Understand the architecture of Kubernetes Engine and how you can extend its capabilities to your on-premises data center.
- Take away documented solutions around security and access management, resource management, performance and resource monitoring.
- Comprehend the pros and cons for using a GCP storage service versus your self-managed containerized storage.
This training course is for you because...
- Anyone interested in Google Cloud Platform, Cloud native and application modernization.
- Anyone studying for any of the Google Cloud Platform certifications
- Anyone wanting to understand more about the GCP Platform Kubernetes Engine and how it compares to Kubernetes
- Anyone wanting to deploy containerized services on Google Cloud Platform.
- Basic Kubernetes experience is recommended
- Basic Cloud Computing knowledge is required
- Download course materials on author Github: https://github.com/thecloudtechguy/GCPSAFARI
- Sign up for a free tier or credits that are available in your region: https://cloud.google.com/free/
- Access to GCP Codelabs or Qwiklabs would be helpful
- Getting Started with Google Cloud Platform LiveLessons (Chad Smith) https://learning.oreilly.com/videos/getting-started-with/9780135181522
- Getting Started with Kubernetes LiveLessons (Sander van Vugt) https://learning.oreilly.com/videos/getting-started-with/9780135237823
- Kubernetes in the Data Center LiveLessons (Vallard Benincosa) https://learning.oreilly.com/videos/kubernetes-in-the/9780135646441
About your instructor
Joe Holbrook has been in the IT field since 1993 when he was exposed to several HPUX systems onboard a US Navy flagship USS JFK. He has migrated from UNIX networking world to Storage Area Networking(SAN) and then onto Enterprise Cloud/Virtualization and Blockchain Architectures. He has worked for numerous companies like HDS, 3PAR Data, Brocade, Dimension Data, EMC, Northrup Grumman, ViON, Ibasis.net, Chematch.com, SAIC and Siemens Nixdorf. He also has been a contract technical trainer for HPE (3PAR), Hitachi Data Systems, Training Associates, ITPrenuers and Global Knowledge. Joe is also a widely published course author on outlets such as LinkedIn Learning, INE.com, and Pearson Safari
Currently, Joe is the owner of MyBlockChainExperts and is based out of Jacksonville, FL. He is also a frequent conference speaker and blogger and technical marketer. Joe also accomplished the Google Analytics Individual Qualification(GAIQ) and has provided technical marketing guidance for numerous small businesses. Joe previously owned HPE Property Management for 10 years, which he utilized Google Analytics proficiently to take over the Reston, VA market before selling to a competitor in 2018.
Joe is also a Certified Bitcoin Professional (CBP), Certified Blockchain Solutions Architect (CBSA) and Certified Blockchain Developer- Hyperledger Fabric- (CBDH), and avid Blockchain and Cryptocurrency geek. He also holds Industry leading certifications from Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, Brocade, Hitachi Data Systems, EMC, VMWare, CompTIA, HP, Cloud Credential Council, Palo Alto Networks and numerous other organizations
Joe is the author of “Architecting Enterprise Blockchain Solutions” Wiley October 2019
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Segment 1: Google Cloud Platform Kubernetes Engine Basics Topics Overview (80 Minutes)
- What is Kubernetes Engine
- How is it different from Kubernetes (Comparison whiteboard)?
- Kubernetes Container Service Operations (Clusters, Pods, Console and CLI)
- Demo - Scale clusters manually and automatically
- Exercise - Deploy a cluster
- Kubernetes Networking (Cloud Interconnect, Load balancing, network policies, services)
- Demo - Use load balancers to expose Services to external clients Kubernetes Deployments, Scaling and Jobs (Cronjobs, Configure Affinity, create deployments)
Break - 15 Minutes
Segment 2: Google Cloud Platform Kubernetes Engine Basics Topics Overview (75 Minutes)
- Complimentary Google Cloud DevOps services (Container Registry, Cloud Build, Container Registry)
- Demo Services - Enable applications running in GKE to access GCP storage services
- Exercise - Deploy CI Pipeline
- Complimentary Google Cloud Data Services ( Persistent Storage, Cloud Storage, Cloud SQL, Cloud Spanner, Cloud Bigtable, Cloud Firestore, and BigQuery)
- Demo - Deploy Storage - Configure Persistent Storage Volumes for Kubernetes Pods
Segment 3: Google Cloud Platform Kubernetes Engine Advanced Topics Overview (80 Minutes)
- Kubernetes Advanced Topics Overview
- Managing storage options (Google Cloud Options, ConfigMaps, Secrets)
- Demo - Create
- Managing IAM (RBAC, security policies, AAA)
- Demo - IAM Demo 1 - Roles and Policies
- Demo - IAM Demo 2 - Cluster Administration Security
- Logging and Monitoring (Stackdriver, probes, sinks)
- Demo - Stackdriver Monitoring
- Demo - Stackdriver Logging
- Exercise - Stackdriver Dashboard and Metrics
Break - 15 Minutes
Segment 4: Google Cloud Platform Kubernetes Engine Advanced Topics Overview (70 Minutes)
- Extending to on premises (Kubernetes on premises, Istio)
- Demo - Extending to the datacenter
- Anthos Overview (Core building blocks and control center)
- Learn about Google Cloud certification options (Associate, Professional and Specialty)
- Course Wrap up and Next Steps