Introducing Infrastructure as Code with Terraform
In today’s IT world Cloud is King. Along with the shift to utility computing came a shift in thinking about managing infrastructure. Powerful tools and paradigms have emerged in Software Development and now we can take advantage of those for infrastructure as well.
This Live training will introduce you to the powerful elegance of treating your infrastructure as code using the preeminent platform available: Hashicorp’s Terraform.
This course will help you understand why infrastructure as code is such an important mindset in today’s world. Today’s agile software development methods require an approach to infrastructure that is just as flexible. Infrastructure as Code allows Architects and engineers to deliver reliable, scalable, repeatable and cost-effective infrastructure. This course will help you see how to achieve this while avoiding the common pitfalls.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
- You will learn about applying the principles of the software development lifecycle to infrastructure
- Understand the philosophy behind Infrastructure as code
- Learn how Terraform works and how it can help you implement IaC.
This training course is for you because...
- You are a software developer, system architect, or technical manager who wants to understand IaC and how to implement it.
- You already have some understanding of IaC, but would like to dig into Terraform and get the most out of it.
- Experience with Unix-like operating systems. (The examples will all work on Windows, but many of the cloud deployments will run Linux).
- Experience with at least one cloud platform. The examples will all be on AWS, but the instructor can also answer questions and provide examples for GCP.
- Students should have access to an AWS account if they want to try the examples on their own.
About your instructor
Robert Jordan has been designing, implementing, and deploying production applications for some of the world’s largest media and scientific customers for over twenty years. Throughout that time, he has successfully led projects on all major cloud platforms, and is currently certified on both AWS and GCP platforms. He is also a Co-Founder of Pragmatic AI Labs.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Segment 1: Hello Terraform
Length: 30 minutes - Instructors will demonstrate how to install Terraform and implement a ‘Hello Terraform example. - Participants will follow along with the demonstration on their own computer.
Q&A: 10 minutes
Segment 2: Introducing Infrastructure as Code
Length: 60 minutes - SDLC overview - IaC: Value proposition - Evolution of IaC - IaC vs. Configuration Management
Q&A: 15 minutes
Break: 15 minutes
Segment 3: Terraform: A closer look
Length: 45 minutes - Review results of ‘Hello Terraform’ Demonstration - Terraform concepts: Module context, Resources, Data Sources, State, Dependencies
Q&A: 10 minutes
Segment 4: Terraform in practice
Length: 45 minutes - HCL (Hashicorp Configuration Language): Variables, Interpolation, Locals, Functions, Conditionals - Terraform Workflow: Create, Plan, Apply - Terraform Providers: AWS - Terraform modules: Registry
Q&A: 15 minutes