Introduction to Technical Product Management
Concepts, tools, and frameworks to master the product lifecycle
The product manager plays a key role in technical product development, but many within an organization are still unsure of the value a PM adds. Product managers help set the technical direction of the product, in part, through technical discussions with engineers. In order to keep up with the quickly changing tech ecosystem and be truly impactful in a tech organization, product managers need a diverse skill set that combines creativity, analytical skills, communication, and most importantly, the ability to adapt to and foster an engineering-first culture.
Join expert Marily Nika to truly understand the technical lifecycle of product development. Along the way, you’ll learn how to gain and demonstrate technical influence while working with your engineering team and successfully build digital products by leveraging the right technology.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live online course, you’ll understand:
- The technical lifecycle of product development
- How to demonstrate technical influence while working with engineers
- How to leverage the right technology for your product
- How to adapt to and foster an engineering-first culture
- The dos and dont’s of being a great technical product manager
And you’ll be able to:
- Pursue a career as a technical product manager
- Develop digital products
This training course is for you because...
- You’re a product manager who wants to become more technical.
- You’re an engineer looking to make the transition to technical product management.
- You work with technical product managers and want to better understand their role.
- You want to understand the technical challenges while building a product.
- Review “HOW; The CORE Skills of PM” (module 3 in Fundamentals of Product Management)
- Finish Fundamentals of Product Management (learning path)
About your instructor
Based in San Francisco, Marily Nika works for Google as a Speech AI Product Manager. Marily holds a Ph.D in Computer Science & Epidemiology from Imperial College London and is also a part-time Teaching Fellow at Harvard Business School’s Analytics Program where she runs a forum series on Product Management.
Marily has delivered three TEDx talks and has received international recognition — including the Woman of the Year 2018 Award by everywoman as well as the Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) Influence Award in 2015, for empowering the Women in tech community in various ways. Marily is also actively involved in the startup scene as she serves as an advisor for startups in the EdTech space and is mentoring early stage startups.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Technical product management concepts, tools, and frameworks (55 minutes)
- Presentation: Technical program management versus product management versus engineering project management; day-to-day skills within your product’s technical lifecycle and how to cultivate them; idea generation, case studies, and pitfalls from multiple domains; personas and use cases; important technical concepts each technical PM should know; digital app architecture
- Hands-on exercise: Develop a PRD and a design document for your MVP
Break (5 minutes)
Analytics in technical product management: Troubleshooting, evaluating, and experimenting (55 minutes)
- Presentation: Minimum viable product (MVP); analytics and technical product management; tools for measuring success and setting the right metrics; experiments and A/B tests
- Group discussion: Technical frameworks and tools for distilling insights and executing and prioritizing features
Wrap-up and Q&A (5 minutes)