Jupyter Notebook Foundations
Exploring data and learning effectively
Jupyter Notebooks have been a platform for Data Analysts and Data Scientists for the last few years but it may be expanding to a more general population including students, financial analysts, and other Scientific rigors. Running a Jupyter Notebook today is just as important as running a web browser. It is an essential platform for learning, conveying information, and telling a story.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live, hands-on, online course, you’ll understand:
- Use of the notebook
- Format and design of a notebook
- Advanced Interaction
And you’ll be able to:
- Document and Run Code in a Notebook
- Install Alternate Language Kernels
- Make your Notebook Interactive
This training course is for you because...
- You’re already a user of Jupyter notebooks but you use the mouse too much.
- You have never used a Jupyter notebook before and want to know how to use it.
- Interested in Jupyter notebooks but perhaps in another language.
- Basic familiarity with Python will be helpful
About your instructor
Daniel Hinojosa is a programmer, consultant, instructor, speaker, and recent author. With over 20 years of experience, he does work for private, educational, and government institutions. He is also currently a speaker on the No Fluff Just Stuff tour. Daniel loves JVM languages like Java, Groovy, and Scala, but he also dabbles with non-JVM languages like Haskell, Ruby, Python, LISP, C, and C++.
He is an avid Pomodoro Technique Practitioner and makes every attempt to learn a new programming language every year. Daniel is the author of Testing in Scala and the video Beginning Scala Programming for O’Reilly. For downtime, he enjoys reading, swimming, Legos, football, and barbecuing.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Starting your notebook (60 minutes)
- Presentation: Introduction to your notebook
- Discussion: Where to get the notebook, loading the notebook, packages to install
- Presentation: Rapid Manipulation of the Notebook using only keys
- Exercise: Challenge, Edit a notebook without using the mouse
- Break (5 minutes)
Advanced Manipulation Part One (55 minutes)
- Presentation: What to do when things go wrong
- Presentation: Visualizations, how to bring graphing into Jupyter
- Exercise: Create a Graph from the Data
- Presentation: Widgets to Change Results
- Exercise: Using a Widget to Understand Differences
- Presentation: Extensions for a Different Experience
- Exercise: Select your Favorite Extensions
- Break (5 minutes)
Advanced Manipulation Part Two (55 minutes)
- Presentation: Layout Design with Dashboards
- Exercise: Creating your Wonderful Layouts
- Presentation: Choosing a Different Language Kernel
- Presentation: Show the World your Work
- Exercise: Convert your Notebook for your Power Delivery