Leading Innovative Teams
How to help develop high-performing teams that compete at the speed of business today
The pace of work is accelerating and it feels crazy out there. Competition is fierce, and customer demands are high. At the same time, digital continues to drive change in every industry and every role. Organizations are struggling to keep up—let alone meet new goals. It's clear the old ways of working no longer work. Leaders need new ways to develop nimble, adaptable and innovative teams and organizations.
In a highly interactive session, Cynthia Owens takes you through the principles and practices that make teams successful in today’s business environment. Drawing on lectures, discussions, and hands-on exercises, she shares tools and strategies to help you develop your high-performing team. The goal is a team that can move faster and adapt more quickly. You'll leave with practical steps you can put in place immediately to start transforming how your team works together and delivers on priorities.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live online course, you’ll understand:
- How to help your team members define a vision for how they will work together
- How to refine your leadership to be more nimble and resilient
And you’ll be able to:
- Articulate the benefits, principles, and initial steps for creating a more adaptive and nimble team
- Get un-stuck and break out of the patterns that slow you and your team down
- Begin shifting your own mindset and skillset with tools that make you a more effective team leader in an increasingly complex world
This training course is for you because...
- You're a manager or director leading a team that needs to perform and compete at a high level and deliver on priorities.
- You're an aspiring manager who wants to learn how to lead teams and help your current team be more effective and move faster.
- You're a team leader whose team needs to execute on new strategies and deliver on changing expectations.
- You're a team leader whose team has tried other ways to improve performance, but they did not work or stick.
Materials or downloads needed in advance:
- 4–5 pieces of blank paper
- A pad of sticky notes
- A pen (preferably a marker)
Nimble and Adaptive Teams (course blog)
About your instructor
Cynthia helps organizations perform better by focusing on how people and teams can be more successful. She’s worked with some of the world’s biggest companies and non-profits in the U.S. and Asia. Cynthia is currently a partner at WhatBox Innovation Partners. She spent 5 years as senior consultant with XPLANE, the pioneering visual thinking firm. Her clients have included UPS, Nike, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and Ford.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Introduction (30 minutes)
- Lecture: Principles for successful teams; how to get teams to set a goal; tips to put this into practice for your team
- Hands-on exercise: Create a future state with your team; learn how to use the template
Forecasting the headwinds and tailwinds (25 minutes)
- Lecture: Forecasting the headwinds and tailwinds; tips to put this into practice for your team
- Hands-on exercise: Identify what’s holding you back and what will propel you forward
Break (10 minutes)
Structures, activities, and culture changes for success (30 minutes)
- Lecture: Identifying the key structures, activities, and culture changes that you need to succeed; tips to put this into practice for your team
- Hands-on exercise: Determine what needs to change and what might be working that you can build on
Getting started (25 minutes)
- Lecture: Where to start; how to light the spark of change; tips to put this into practice for your team
- Hands-on exercise: Prioritize changes to start with those that will make the biggest impact and ignite real and lasting change