Performance goals for growth
Setting performance goals that work for you, your manager, and your company
Does setting goals for your performance review process feel like a useless exercise—something you have to do every year but then quickly forget about until the end of the year? Too often the performance review process is a waste of time, money, and resources for everyone involved. We set goals that aren’t engaging or motivational and receive or give feedback that is neither timely nor helpful. It doesn’t have to be that way.
Join expert Julie Margretta Wilson to discover how to transform "setting goals" from a form-filling exercise to a process that will accelerate your personal and professional growth. You'll also learn how to harness the power of timely feedback, both as a giver of feedback and as a recipient.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live online course, you’ll understand:
- Useful frameworks for setting meaningful goals
- How to give clear, actionable feedback
- How to request helpful feedback
- How to use the performance review process as a tool for career growth and advancement
And you’ll be able to:
- Set meaningful goals
- Have more worthwhile development conversations with team members
- Leverage your organization’s performance management process to manage and motivate your team
This training course is for you because...
- You're a new manager who wants to learn how to manage and motivate your team and increase employee retention by setting goals that matter and giving feedback that is well received.
- You're an individual contributor looking to work with your manager to set meaningful goals that align with both the organization and your personal and professional growth. You also want to receive helpful feedback on your performance.
- Experience working in a business environment
- Read Setting Your Development Goals: Start with Your Values (book)
- Watch Get Better at Receiving Feedback (video, 6m)
About your instructor
With over fifteen years’ experience as a management trainer, consultant and coach, Julie has worked with a wide range of for profit and not-for-profit clients across the US and Europe. Clients include the IT Academy at Harvard University, Microsoft, Bullhorn, Greentown Labs, FrontPoint Security and Babson College. Her workplace skill building programs have helped thousands of employees and managers step into their potential as leaders and increase the creativity, collaboration and problem-solving capabilities of their teams. Julie graduated from Queen’s University, Belfast, with a degree in Business Administration and French and from the Harvard Graduate School of Education with a Masters degree in Education, specializing in adult development, learning technology and behavioral change.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Why performance management often fails (20 minutes)
- Lecture: Context and objectives; uses (and misuses) of performance management
- Hands-on exercise: Explain what the phrase “performance management process” makes you think of
Setting meaningful goals (30 minutes)
- Lecture: How to set meaningful goals; the HARD and SMART frameworks
- Hands-on exercise: Set goals for your own project or personal growth
Break (10 minutes)
Feedback (30 minutes)
- Discussion: What works when giving feedback? What doesn’t?
- Lecture: The B+I feedback formula; building feedback into the work
- Hands-on exercise: Brainstorm feedback phrases using the B+I formula
Pulling it all together (20 minutes)
- Lecture: Summary of course themes; the goal-setting process; relevant resources and recommended reading list from Safari
- Discussion: Come up with “What do you do if…?” questions and respond
Wrap-up and Q&A (10 minutes)