Project Management Fundamentals
Simple considerations to achieve project success
Everyone at some time is faced with the need to manage a project. Some projects can be simple and straightforward, while others can be extremely complex. Some projects may be completed in a few days, while others may take weeks, months, or even longer. All projects though require careful management of a wide range of considerations, such as people, time, resources, and money. Whether you are building the next Golden Bate Bridge or organizing your twins' birthday party, the core principles are the same. Simplicity in project management enables powerful and successful outcomes.
This course will provide valuable insight for anyone who is faced with managing a project for the first time but has limited or no project management experience. It highlights the fundamental principles of project management in a simple, easy-to-follow manner to provide confidence and overall understanding to achieve project success.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live, hands-on, online course, you’ll understand:
- What is a project and what is not a project
- What is the project expected to accomplish
- What people and resources are needed
- The key principles required to achieve success
- How to communicate progress, when and to whom
- How to lead and motivate those involved
- What to do when a project is completed
And you’ll be able to:
- Create a project plan
- Identify roles and responsibilities
- Lead a project team through the project process
- Communicate with project stakeholders
- Determine key project metrics and calculate outcomes
- Identify when a project gets off track and take appropriate action
- Identify lessons learned when a project is completed
This training course is for you because...
- You’re an engineer assigned to manage projects but have little to no project management experience
- You work with cross-functional teams and subject matter experts
- You want to become a project manager
- Basic understanding of business and some work experience
Recommended preparation - Think about a challenge you have previously encountered or a challenge you anticipate in a future project. Come prepared to reflect on how the project management principles you learn could be applied and, optionally, share a few sentences about the challenge.
- Read Making Things Happen (book)
- Read Head First PMP, 4th Edition (book)
- Read Applied Software Project Management (book)
- Take Succeeding with Project Management (live online training course with Andy Bouts)
- Explore the resources at the Project Management Institute, including the official PMBOK® (Project Management Body of Knowledge) Guide and Standards.
About your instructor
After graduating college with a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, my career started off as an engineer working in various roles in research, engineering, development, and product marketing. I then became interested to learn about management and business overall, so I went to night school to get a master’s in business administration.
This led to expanding my interests in sales, services, and customer support. It was here I realized I enjoyed working with and helping customers manage their strategic projects. I became very intrigued with project management and realized no matter what role or position you do, leveraging fundamental project management principles helps to achieve project success. I therefore attended classes to receive a Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification and advanced master’s certificate in project management.
I also hold certifications in Customer Success, ITIL, and CoBit.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing