Swift First Steps
Learn the fundamentals of building Swift applications for iOS, machine learning, and REST APIs
Topic: Software Development
Apple’s Swift language has become one of the most in-demand programming languages for development. Though it was primarily created to build iOS applications, its range of benefits and capabilities continue to grow into other areas, enabling developers to build things such as backend services with REST APIs, web applications, and more.
Join expert Timirah James to jumpstart your Swift journey. You’ll dive into Swift fundamentals, such as syntax and structure, data types, type inference, and optionals, then get hands-on to create your very own applications using Swift.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live online course, you’ll understand:
- How to install Xcode and use Swift Playgrounds
- Swift language fundamentals
- How to utilize Swift on the server
- How Swift compares to other languages on the backend
And you’ll be able to:
- Write functions, classes, and objects using Swift
- Build simple iOS applications with Swift
- Use Swift for projects outside of iOS
This training course is for you because...
- You’re a junior- to senior-level developer.
- You’re curious about the possibilities of using Swift for mobile development to machine learning and beyond.
- You’re an iOS developer who works primarily with Obj-C, and you want to transition to Swift.
- A macOS computer (required to use Xcode) with the latest stable version of Xcode installed and Homebrew installed in your terminal
- Basic programming knowledge
- Familiarity with using the command line
To take part in the optional course exercises, you must have the following:
- A Macbook (required for Xcode usage)
- Be sure to have the latest stable version of Xcode (11 or 12) installed
- Install Homebrew in your Terminal
- Read “Chapter 6: Anatomy of an Xcode Project” of iOS 14 Programming Fundamentals
- Read “Chapter 1. Getting Started” of Learning Swift, 3rd Edition
About your instructor
Timirah is a Technology Evangelist creating awareness around STEM and diversity in tech, as well as helping others build great technical skills and become great developers. She is best known for being a leader in the Los Angeles and Silicon Beach tech community, her active roles in the hackathon realm, the mobile and serverless community, and mentoring through TechniGal LA –– her meetup for women exploring the world of STEM. Timirah was recently highlighted in the Faces of Open Source Project.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Overview of the Swift language (30 minutes)
- Presentation: The birth and evolution of Swift; what makes Swift so unique and significant; how Swift can make your application better
- Group discussion: What are your thoughts on Swift thus far?; What are your expectations of the language?
Getting started with Swift basics (45 minutes)
- Presentation and hands-on exercises: Deciding and declaring variables and constants; understanding optionals; creating functions, arrays, and structs
Break (5 minutes)
Swift and iOS development (45 minutes)
- Hands-on exercise: Build your first native iOS app using Swift
Break (5 minutes)
Swift beyond iOS development (50 minutes)
- Presentation: Intro to Swift for TensorFlow; using Swift on the server; comparing server-side Swift frameworks
- Hands-on exercises: Build your first REST API using Swift (create your first server-side Swift app); use the Swift Package Manager; create your own routes; pass data