Windows Network Security Fundamentals
Microsoft security technologies for modern organizations
Many organizations now use a hybrid environment in which existing on-premises networks are supplemented by cloud resources. The challenge is that security in such a world is even more complex than before.
Expert Glenn Weadock offers an overview of Microsoft security technologies for today’s hybrid environments. Join in to build a foundation for the security topics you’ll need to pass a number of Microsoft certification exams, including the Microsoft Technology Associate certification, specifically Exam 98-367: Security Fundamentals.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live online course, you’ll understand:
- How today’s Microsoft environments create new security challenges for IT departments
- The basics of operating system hardening and applications hardening
- How to best protect network communications on-premises and in the Azure cloud
And you’ll be able to:
- Implement Microsoft technologies for protecting user credentials
- Protect data-in-place using filesystem security, rights management, and encryption
- Configure both local and cloud-based antimalware tools
This training course is for you because...
- You’re an administrator whose organization spans local and cloud-based architectures.
- You work with virtual machines and cloud services in a Microsoft shop.
- You want to pursue Microsoft certifications and need a grounding in security basics.
- Basic familiarity with Windows, networking, and virtualization
- Read “Key Concepts of Cloud Computing” (chapter 5 in Hands-On Cloud Administration in Azure)
- Watch “Securing Windows 10” (chapter 3 in Windows 10 Administration)
- Read Exam Ref: MS-101 Microsoft 365 Mobility and Security (book)
- Read Microsoft Windows Security: Essentials (book)
- Read Getting Started with Windows Server Security (book)
About your instructor
Glenn E. Weadock is the president of Independent Software, Inc., which he founded in 1982 after graduating from Stanford University's engineering school. Glenn is a consultant to the legal profession and has advised the U.S. Justice Department., He served as an expert witness in the Microsoft antitrust case and has also testified in several high-profile patent cases.
Glenn is the author of 18 books (including some in the Dummies series), covering topics such as web design, client/server networking, Microsoft MCSE certification, and the Windows Registry. He’s developed several seminars and video courses for Data-Tech Institute, co-authored two Microsoft Official Curriculum courses on Windows Server, and taught PC and network troubleshooting, design, and support to students in the US, UK, Canada, and Southeast Asia. He holds a number of certifications, including the MDAA, MCAAA, MCITP, MCSE, MCSA, MCT, and A+.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Windows network security fundamentals (10 minutes)
- Presentation: Overview of security topics
Operating system hardening (25 minutes)
- Presentation: Methods of increasing OS security through configuration (Group Policy, Azure AD/Intune)
- Group discussion: How often does your company evaluate OS security baselines?
Application hardening (20 minutes)
- Presentation: Methods of increasing application security (AppLocker, Device Guard, Intune app protection policies)
- Group discussion: Could your organization implement an “allowed app” list?
Break (5 minutes)
Protecting credentials (30 minutes)
- Presentation: Modern techniques for protecting Windows credentials (biometrics, Credential Guard, virtual smart cards, certificates, RODCs, Azure Key Vault)
- Hands-on exercise: Find the vulnerability in a credentials protection system
Protecting data (25 minutes)
- Presentation: Protections for data-at-rest (encryption, filesystem security, Windows Information Protection, digital rights management, ransomware, Azure backup, Azure Storage Explorer)
- Hands-on exercise: Pick the right encryption technology for the situation
Break (5 minutes)
Protecting communications (20 minutes)
- Group discussion: What types of network communications are encrypted in your networks?
- Presentation: Protections for data-in-transit (IP sec, VLANs, Windows Firewall, Azure network security groups)
Antimalware (20 minutes)
- Group discussion: Do you only use Microsoft antimalware solutions?
- Presentation: Windows Defender and Windows Defender ATP
Auditing (20 minutes)
- Group discussion: What types of security auditing does your company perform?
- Presentation: Auditing in Active Directory and Azure Active Directory