Big data projects can be a huge investment, and even small implementation failures can be time-consuming and expensive. This hands-on course pays for itself by letting you make mistakes during the planning phase instead of the expensive development phases.
You don’t need deep technical knowledge to manage successful data strategies, but you do need an understanding of both the pitfalls and potential data holds. In just two online sessions, Jesse Anderson will show you how to recognize the opportunities, avoid the problems, and get the most value from your data.
What you’ll learn—and how you can apply it
By the end of this hands-on, online course, you’ll be able to:
- Understand how Hadoop, Spark, Kafka (and other data tools) fit together in the big data ecosystem
- Know the steps you need to take to solve problems specific to your team and use case(s)
- Avoid common mistakes made in development
- Do data science on the fly using real datasets
- Determine the problems you can solve with data (and address them in your data solution from the beginning)
- Ensure the success of your Hadoop roll-out or big data project
This course is for you if:
- You’re a CxO, VP, or technical manager with some familiarity with big data terminology and specific data problems to solve
- You have business experience and are transitioning into a career in big data
About the instructor
Jesse Anderson (@jesseanderson) is a creative engineer with many years of experience in creating products and helping companies improve their software engineering. He is CEO of Smoking Hand, a training company for big data technologies. Smoking Hand helps companies make their big data transformations and enables their successful projects. Jesse previously created big data and data science curriculum for Cloudera, leading instruction for thousands of people entering this field, and has played an active part within the Apache Hadoop community, creating many popular open source examples for big data use cases.
“I want you to learn about… the common patterns of successful projects and successful teams”
- Thinking in big data: Understanding big data, Hadoop, and its ecosystem (9:00–10:30AM)
- Morning break (10:30–10:45AM)
- Thinking in big data: Understanding big data, Hadoop, and its ecosystem (10:45–11:50)
- Overnight assignment: Looking at your use case and team through the lens of big data (11:50–12:00)
- Assignment discussion (9:00–9:30AM)
- Engineering big data solutions: The steps and mindsets to creating successful big data solutions (9:30–10:00AM)
- Morning break (10:00–10:15AM)
- Doing data science on the NFL play-by-play dataset: Using data to create data products and find business value (10:15–11:30AM)
- Q&A (11:30AM–12:00PM)
Register now; March 15 is just around the corner.
Participate in this workshop from the convenience of your home, your office… whatever environment you find most comfortable and conducive to an intensive educational experience.
Individual ticket plus the ability to correspond with Jesse Anderson about the content of the course for 2 weeks after the course ends. (Consulting for specific use cases is not included.)
Project the workshop on a screen in a meeting room and invite your professional colleagues to participate. Learning alongside each other is a great team-building experience.
Group size is limited to 8 attendees. For larger groups, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Group ticket plus the ability to correspond with Jesse Anderson about the content of the course for 2 weeks after the course ends. (Consulting for specific use cases is not included.)
Once you have registered, further details about joining the workshop will be available in your members.oreilly.com account, along with related ebooks and files. After the event concludes, a video of the event will be added to your account.Back to top