Press Release: October 3, 2006
Building Ajax-Style Applications with ASP.NET Atlas: O'Reilly Releases Programming Atlas
Not to be left behind, Microsoft has announced its own framework that provides Ajax functionality, but with added controls and features that make the development of modern web applications even easier. Called "ASP.NET Atlas" (or just "Atlas," for short) this set of technologies offers .NET developers many of the same benefits for Ajax technologies that ASP.NET provides for server side development. In his new book, Programming Atlas (O'Reilly, US $34.99), Christian Wenz shows readers how to use this new framework to build Ajax-savvy websites.
"Atlas is quite mature now," says Wenz. "A go-live license exists and the user community is growing. Ajax is becoming more and more important, and Atlas can help a lot along the way, providing convenient and common functionality and thereby facilitating and speeding up the Ajax development process--just like ASP.NET 2.0 does for web development."
Not just a drag-and-drop ASP.NET 2.0 book, Programming Atlas dives into the technologies that make Ajax work. The book begins with a tour of the technologies most often associated with Ajax. Once readers have mastered the fundamentals, Wenz unpacks the Atlas framework and shows them how to put its tools to work. They'll learn how to:
- Understand the architecture of Atlas and the role played by server controls, such as ScriptManager and UpdatePanel
- Build more interactive pages using controls and extenders to autocomplete text fields, validate user input, drag and drop controls, and much more
- Bind, display, and update data without causing the entire page to refresh, and use the Atlas web services bridge to consume third-party services beyond the domain of the application
- Incorporate Microsoft Virtual Earth into an application, use Atlas with Web Parts, and create a Windows Live Gadget
- Use Atlas with PHP and explore other non-Microsoft Ajax tools for ASP.NET
Praise for Programming Atlas":
"The definitive work on a compelling new platform. Wenz does for Atlas
what Grisham does for courtrooms. Superb!"
-- Jeff Prosise, Wintellect
"...provides a comprehensive, in-depth look at Atlas, and give you everything
you need to know to build rich web applications, gadgets, and components with
-- Shanku Niyogi, Product Unit Manager, UI Framework and Services Team, Microsoft
For more information about the book, including table of contents, index, author bio, and samples, see:
For a cover graphic in JPEG format, go to:
ISBN: 0-596-52672-5, 382 pages, $34.99 US, $45.99 CA
1005 Gravenstein Highway North
Sebastopol , CA 95472
O’Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O’Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying “faint signals” from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.