Press Release: September 27, 2007
SharePoint 2007: The Definitive Guide--New from O'Reilly Media: The Ultimate Resource for Using, Customizing, and Managing SharePoint 2007
Hundreds of businesses are joining the Microsoft SharePoint revolution. From time and energy-saving strategies to easily sharing files, SharePoint solves a multitude of problems in the workplace.
Yet even the easiest processes need instructional manuals if they are to be used effectively. So if your organization is ready to use Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (MOSS), you're in luck. O'Reilly's newest release--SharePoint 2007: The Definitive Guide
Written by a team of professionals with extensive hands-on, everyday experience in all facets of MOSS, SharePoint 2007: The Definitive Guide demonstrates how you can use SharePoint's powerful features to connect people, information, processes, and systems both within and beyond your firewall.
Jim Pyles, the lead author of this book, explains what sets this book above any other SharePoint reference. "The fact that so many people have been involved in this project is what makes it 'definitive.' One or two authors can contain a fair amount of experience and background in a particular area or topic, but eleven subject-matter experts can cover a huge cross section of understanding."
Through this book's detailed discussions of SharePoint's features, applications, and extensions, you'll learn how to build and customize SharePoint sites that will meet your users' needs.
This book explains how to:
- Understand SharePoint's key components: collaboration, portal, enterprise search, enterprise content management, business process and forms, and business intelligence
- Install, deploy, maintain, and secure SharePoint on a standalone server or in a multiserver farm
- Design SharePoint Sites, including portals, top-level sites, and subsite collections
- Create document workspaces, document libraries, and graphics and image libraries
- Develop meeting workspaces to control everything from invitation to tracking and follow-up of assignments
- Manage lists, such as announcements, contacts, discussion boards, links, and calendars
- Integrate with Office applications including Excel, Word, Outlook, Picture Manager, and InfoPath
- Tweak, tune, customize, enhance, and extend the core SharePoint platform to meet your organization's precise needs
Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 is a huge departure from previous versions. Now more than ever, SharePoint can be a boon to your organization's productivity, and "SharePoint 2007: The Definitive Guide" gives you everything you need to use these tools.
Lead author James Pyles is a technical writer at Aquent Studios in Boise, Idaho. The author of PC Technician Street Smarts: A Real World Guide to CompTIA A+ Skills (Sybex) and numerous other technical works, James regularly reviews books on operating systems, web design, and programming for various web and print publications. He served as a SharePoint site administrator for a software group at Micron Technologies. You can reach him at http://www.wiredwriter.net.
SharePoint 2007: The Definitive Guide
By James Pyles, Bob Fox, Christopher M. Buechler, Murray Gordon, Michael Lotter, Jason Medero, Nilesh Mehta, Joris Poelmans, Christopher Pragash, Piotr Prussak, Christopher J. Regan
ISBN 10: 0-596-52958-9
O’Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O’Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying “faint signals” from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.