Press Release: February 6, 2008
Ajax: The Definitive Guide--New from O'Reilly: The Complete Guide to Building Interactive Applications for the WebIs Ajax a new technology or the same old stuff? You'll hear arguments on both sides, and both sides are right, but the point is academic. "The growth and advancement of technology in the last three to four years have been incredible," notes author Anthony T. Holdener III. "Ajax is one of the reasons new web applications are becoming such a hit, and the more people can learn to utilize Ajax in their projects, the better those projects will be for end users."
Holdener's new book, Ajax: The Definitive Guide (O'Reilly, US $49.99) demonstrates how tried-and-true technologies (aka "the same old stuff") make Ajax possible, and shows how these older technologies are the underlying secret of that decidedly modern Web 2.0 feel.
The book also explains:
- How to connect server-side backend components to user interfaces in the browser
- Loading and manipulating XML documents, and how to replace XML with JSON
- Manipulating the Document Object Model (DOM)
- Designing Ajax interfaces for usability, functionality, visualization, and accessibility
- Site navigation layout, including issues with Ajax and the browser's back button
- Adding life to tables & lists, navigation boxes and windows
- Animation creation, interactive forms, and data validation
- Search, web services and mash-ups
- Applying Ajax to business communications, and creating Internet games without plug-ins
- The advantages of modular coding, ways to optimize Ajax applications, and more
Anthony T. Holdener, III currently builds Internet/Intranet applications utilizing the latest available technologies while striving for accessibility and cross-browser compatibility. He has worked with the web in one form or another since 1997 when he helped open an Internet cafe in Fairview Heights, Illinois. Following graduation from St. Louis University with a degree in Computer Science, Anthony has worked as a web architect or developer for the past eight years for a number of Fortune 500 companies in the St. Louis area. Anthony resides in the village of Shiloh, Illinois, a suburb of St. Louis, Missouri, with his wife and twin toddlers. When not on his computer, Anthony enjoys reading, painting, and spending time with his family.
Ajax: The Definitive Guide
Anthony T. Holdener, III
ISBN: 0-596-52838-8, 980 pages, US $49.99
1005 Gravenstein Highway North
Sebastopol, CA 95472
O’Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O’Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying “faint signals” from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.