Sebastopol, CA, July 22 2010—About the only thing faster than a great website is how fast Velocity, the O'Reilly Web Performance and Operations Conference, keeps growing. Velocity roared into its third year by reaching soldout status the week before the conference started, then brought more than 1,200 people who make the Web work to the Hyatt Santa Clara in Santa Clara, CA, June 22-24, 2010.
"The highlight of the conference was the conference itself," said Steve Souders, who chairs Velocity with Jesse Robbins. "We had 1200 attendees, double what we had when we started Velocity in 2008. This growth is a testimonial to how the focus on web performance and operations has increased in just two years. Companies know their websites have to be fast, available, and scalable. That's why they come to Velocity."
Building on the original two Web Performance and Operations tracks, Jesse and Steve added a third track, Velocity Culture, this year. Conference keynotes included John Adams of Twitter, John Allspaw of Etsy.com, Bobby Johnson of Facebook, Tim O'Reilly of O'Reilly Media, Philip Dixon of Shopzilla, Cheryl Ainoa of Yahoo!, Yehuda Katz of Engine Yard, Marc Hedlund of Wesabe, Urs Hölzle of Google, John Rauser of Amazon, Shanti Subramanyam of Oracle Corporation, and consultant Nicole Sullivan.
Sponsors of Velocity 2010 included Keynote Systems, Compuware Corporation, Google, Strangeloop, Yahoo!, Dyn Inc., Facebook, Schooner Information Technology, Tilera, AlertSite, AppDynamics, Aptimize, CDNetworks, Circonus, Cloudscaling, Clustrix, Coradiant, Dell, DTO Solutions, dynaTrace, MaxiScale, Neustar, Nokia, NorthScale, Shopzilla, Splunk, Virident, and Zoompf.
Sponsors also chose to announce their news to the web performance and operations community at Velocity. Among the announcements made were:
- dynaTrace Launches First Beta of dynaTrace AJAX for Download
- Inaugural "State of Web Performance" Report Shows Top 1000 Websites Are On Average 20% Bloated
- NorthScale, Zynga, NHN Establish Membase Open Source Project, Contribute NoSQL Database Software
- NorthScale Releases High-Performance NoSQL Database
- NTT America's Global IP Network Supports World's Fastest Growing Provider of Managed DNS
- Dyn Inc., Opscode and Zenoss Unite for "Game Day" at the O'Reilly Velocity Conference
- OmniTI Introduces Circonus, a New Performance Monitoring Tool to Boost Profitability and Productivity
- Clustrix Announces Version 2.0 of its Clustered Database System for Internet-Scale Applications
For complete information on Velocity 2010, including keynote videos, speaker presentation files, and photos, visit the Velocity News & Coverage page.
O’Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O’Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying “faint signals” from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.