From Monolith to Microservices
Sign up before this course sells out!
Microservices are all the rage at the moment, but many people focus on what they look like and how they work once you’ve got them. Suppose your organization has a very different type of architecture, however, how do you move from one to the other?
Join Sam Newman, author of Building Microservices, for an in-depth exploration into how to go about breaking down monolithic systems into microservices. Sam will cut through the buzzwords and be honest about the pros and cons of adopting an architecture that might be radically different from what you have now. By the end of this course, you’ll have a solid grasp of the principles and a concrete set of tools for breaking apart your own systems.
What you’ll learn—and how you can apply it
By the end of this live, online course, you’ll understand:
- What microservices are, and whether or not they’re right for you
- How to structure a transition from a monolithic system to microservices
- How to find boundaries for new services
- How to identify potential risks and manage outcomes
This course is for you if:
- You’re a CTO, architect, or tech lead who wants to understand whether microservices are the right choice for your organization and how to take advantage of them
- You’re a developer looking for help to break down your monolithic systems
- You want advice on how to implement a sane, balanced approach to moving to microservices
- A good understanding of your current system architecture is very useful
- Some knowledge of microservices is useful, but not essential
- Day One
- What are microservices?
- Why might you want them?
- Why microservices could be a terrible idea, or why monoliths sometimes rock!
- Why don’t we normally do microservices?
- Planning a transition to microservices
- Where do you start?
- Goal setting—why are you doing this and when will you be done?
- Big bang rewrite versus incremental adoption
- Splitting out stateful functionality
- Single DB versus multiple DB
- Data refactoring patterns
- Dual data storage
- Day Two
- Migrating A Running System
- Branch by abstraction
- Team facades
- Event decorators
- Handling user interfaces
- Build and deployment issues, such as
- How to structure repositories (monorepos vs per-service repos)
- CI structures
- Deployment topology
- Vital changes to monitoring approaches
- What does healthy mean in the new world?
- Correlation IDs
- Improved dashboards
Participate in this workshop from the convenience of your home, your office… whatever environment you find most comfortable and conducive to an intensive educational experience.
Working as a team? Learn as a team.
Taking this course as a team ensures that everyone is on the same page and understands both the immediate and long-term and immediate goals of your project. Exploring new ideas and collaborating on exercises together is a great team-building experience; everyone on your team will have the opportunity to ask questions, discuss use cases, and learn from other participants.
For group tickets and enterprise licensing, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org