At O’Reilly, we believe that true innovation depends on hearing from, and listening to, people with a variety of perspectives. We want our conferences, and the technology communities and companies who participate in them, to include, encourage, and recognize people of all races, ethnicities, genders, ages, abilities, religions, sexual orientation, and military service. We’re not there yet.
We’re working to increase career opportunities in technology for people from underrepresented groups by actively recruiting diverse speakers for our events, offering scholarships to O’Reilly conferences, signing up a broad variety of authors for books and videos, and taking part in ongoing conversations about the value of diversity in the communities we serve.
Here are some ways you can help us build a more diverse community:
- See if you're eligible and apply for a diversity scholarship to a conference that’s relevant to your career.
- Sponsor our conference diversity scholarships.
- Recommend appropriate speakers and/or program committee members to the conference chairs (see individual O’Reilly conference sites for program information, or send an email to
- Forward our Call For Proposals to relevant affinity groups with the message that we are looking for a diverse roster of speakers.
- During the Call For Proposals phase of a conference, suggest to potential speakers that they submit proposals. (See individual O’Reilly conference sites for details.)
- Encourage potential authors, reviewers, and other content creators to work with us, or recommend them to us directly by emailing
- Organize community-based public speaking trainings and practice events. (Ignite is one popular format.)
- Suggest ways that the onsite conference experience can be more welcoming and supportive: send an email to